Lake Tanganyika Species • Cyprichromis experts

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Cyprichromis experts

Postby noddy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:05 am

A question for any of our Cyp experts. I am looking for a list of any or all of the jumbo cyps that have colourful females.
I have a small group of cyps that include a female that has a yellow tail. Not slightly yellow but full on bright yellow.
She also has dark blue or black dorsal and anal fins with the light blue/white trimmings on the edges. The rest of her body is typically drab grey/beige that most females have. If it wasn't for the fact that she had already spit out 10 viable fry and is now due to spit again I wouldn't believe it was a female.
I won't say which varient the group was bought as because I don't want to influence any answers. I will say that they are not common and I don't believe she is labelled properly.

Thanks in advance.
noddy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Cyprichromis experts

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:23 pm

:popcorn:
Iggy Newcastle

Postby punman » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:09 pm

I have had cyps a couple of times but not the jumbos, and females were fairly drab. I do have Konings Back to Nature Tanganyika Cichlids book. It shows mostly male cyps, but does show a jumbo female "Fulwe Rock" holding eggs that has a salmon coloured body and bluish tail so I guess some colour in females is possible.
Tanganyika Cichlids all the Way!
135 Gallon: Tropheus duboisi (Halembe)
90 Gallon: Frontosa mpimbwe f1 and A. calvus
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
punman

Postby noddy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:28 am

Iggy Newcastle wrote::popcorn:

Haha. Pull up a seat and pass the popcorn Iggy.
noddy

Postby noddy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:32 am

punman wrote:I have had cyps a couple of times but not the jumbos, and females were fairly drab. I do have Konings Back to Nature Tanganyika Cichlids book. It shows mostly male cyps, but does show a jumbo female "Fulwe Rock" holding eggs that has a salmon coloured body and bluish tail so I guess some colour in females is possible.

Thanks Punman. I'll have a look for some Fulwe rocks pics. The biggest problem I'm having is finding pics of females. Understandably.
They are supposed to be Coloratus and I've found very little info. on them. A lot of the older discussions no longer contain the pics that they originally had.
Thanks again.
noddy

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species