Lake Tanganyika Species • Tangs vs Others

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Tangs vs Others

Postby Pearlmutt » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:46 am

I've come across a lot of posts about the toughest cichlids in a 1 v 1 encounter. (YES another one of "those" threads!) A lot of the posts surround south american, central american cichlids such as dovii, jack dempsey, jaguar, convicts, red devil ect. those always seem to be at the top other then the occasional buttikoferi posts. So how would a full grown petrochromis blue giant fair with a full grown dovii? How about a 10-12" Moshi up against a full grown jack demp? how about a 5" Lepidiolamprologus vs a 5" convict? Is it because tangs are quite rare compared to american cichlids that they dont get mentioned often? or do the american cichlids dominate as the best equipped most aggressive cichlids? I've kept a few tangs but mainly petrochromis. Even though they dont host big teeth they have huge mouths with brush-like teeth that do incredible amounts of damage quickly. I've kept p. moshi before and the aggression / determination just seems unmatched. Makes me wonder what a blue giant is capable of or even green macs. I havent kept a lot of american cichlids other then convicts so i'd like to hear what you guys think.
Pearlmutt

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Tangs vs Others

Postby Mcdaphnia » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:40 pm

These fish are geographically distant, so they are never going to confront each other except in highly unnatural conditions. A large frontosa may gobble up a bunch of convict cichlids, but if two of them are guarding eggs or fry, they may kill the much larger fish. So the reason this is one of those posts is that any observations are meaningless and only apply to two particular fish on one particular day. Science attempts to figure out how things work by experiment. This idea comes no way close to science. You can't begin to eliminate the variables, so the results are never going to be reproducible and can never lead to any conclusions.
Mcdaphnia

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species