Lake Tanganyika Species • Ventralis - Mouth Brooder Advice

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Ventralis - Mouth Brooder Advice

Postby Jacquiepoho » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:21 pm

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, please forgive me if I don't use the right terminology or formatting.

We have a well established tang tank - about eight years running - that is thriving. Any issues we have had (minimal) we have dealt with by online research and even taking fish back to the store due to size and compatibility issues (twice). My husband used to have a tank in his teens, and knows a bit about them (and now, so do I, and I just love them, and all of their quirks and special maintenance).

A few years ago we watched our cyps breed and we moved mom to an isolation tank and she spat out some super cute babies. Unfortunately, they didn't survive. We had them for a few months, but something weird happend to the water quality which felt like over night (we are weekly water change and water test fanatics). It might have been that the tank was in direct sunlight, and got too warm, that is all we could think of. We are not into breeding, that was our only try, but if we were to notice it, we feel like we want to give it a shot. Which leads me to my situation...

We have a Blue Gold Tip - Ophthalmotilapia Ventralis who has a mouth full of eggs. We had seen a spawn happen about a month ago. We watched it all go down. Dad had all of our other fish pushed up into the corners of the tank, which is why we noticed, and we got to see the process. It was incredible. Sadly, our spectacular and VERY speedy Calvus gobbled them up...I felt so bad for mom and dad. So, it has happened again, but we did not witness it this time, and it looks like mom and dad manged to keep the Calvus away this time! Mom has a big fat bulging chin and we can see movement inside.

So, to my question, we want to give this another shot and put her in isolation. I welcome tips and advice. Things like, when should we move her to isolation? We're not sure when this happened, but we think we're looking at about 15 days gestation? Tips, tricks, etc...anything that anyone can offer is appreciated!
Jacquiepoho

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Ventralis - Mouth Brooder Advice

Postby noddy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:33 pm

I would strip her at around 18 days and raise the wrigglers up in a breeder basket. If you isolate the female there is a good chance she will eat them if you are not there when or shortly after she spits. If you wait around 18 days there is a good chance that she will spit in the net, making your job a little easier.
noddy

Postby DJRansome » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:17 pm

Another way is to place her in a cycled tank by herself and let her spit naturally. Mine usually don't eat the babies for the first 24 hours so just take her out when she spits. Then the babies are already in the nursery tank ready to grow out.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby punman » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:33 pm

Jacquiepoho - I see you are in Calgary as am I. I will send you a PM with my phone number if you'd like to talk. I have kept African cichlids - all breeding tanks, and have kept cyps, featherfins, tropheus, sandsifters, frontosas, etc. I have been stripping females (fish of course) successfully for 16 years.
Tanganyika Cichlids all the Way!
90 Gallon: Tropheus Black Bemba
90 Gallon: Frontosa mpimbwe f1 and A. calvus
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
punman

Postby Jacquiepoho » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:57 pm

Thank's everyone! This is a bigger job than I thought, but I'm going to give it a shot!

I might have more questions, talk soon.
Jacquiepoho

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species