Lake Tanganyika Species • First post - feedback on set-up and return to Tanganyikans

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

First post - feedback on set-up and return to Tanganyikans

Postby rocknut » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:14 pm

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, and I was hoping I could take a few minutes of everyone’s time, and get a few opinions, and some guidance regarding a new tank I am working on setting up. Quick bit of background about me: I kept quite a few Lake Tanganyikan aquariums back when I was in high school in the late 90’s, and had pretty good long term success, and bread quite a few fish (which resulted in more and more aquariums…God bless my poor parents). Anyway, in the early 2000’s I made the move to saltwater, and had been keeping an SPS Reef Tank for the last ten years or so. Honestly, the demands/stress of that tank kind of burned me out, and when my wife and I decided to change out the flooring in our house, I took it as an excuse to break the tank down, and sell everything. Funny thing happened, however: after about three months of not having a tank at all, started thinking about the Lake Tanganyikan aquariums I had as a kid, and quickly decided to plan a set-up. Which leads me to where I am at now, and to my main question(s).

When I had my aquariums set-up back in high school, I kept all sorts of fish from Frontosa, to Julidochromis, different shell dwellers, Cyprochromis, etc, but never had the money at that age to try what I really wanted, which was a group of Tropheus. When I decided to get back into Tanganyikans again, that was immediately were my mind went. But after giving it some more thought, I have been going back and forth. My main concern is that I don’t want to jump right back into an aquarium that is so complicated and/or stressful that I am basically moving right back into the same stress level as my previous SPS Reef. I know that at the end of the day, this is personal choice I have to make, but would really appreciate any feedback/guidance from the members of this forum. Like I said, I have basically had an aquarium for the past 25 years or so, but haven’t had a fresh water/Tanganyikan tank, specifically, in about 20 years.

The tank I am setting up with be an acrylic 120 gallon (48” x 24” x 24”), and I will use the sump tank I used with my reef tank. I am going to use a combination of Poret foam, Seachem Matrix, filter socks, and maybe some Sera Siporax for filtration, in the sump (would rather over-do it, than not have enough). Also have some really good equipment that I kept from my reef that I can use in this tank (controller, circulation pumps, wave maker, etc).

With that tank size, I am considering two options for stocking the tank:

1. Option #1 - Go with a full blown Tropheus tank. Would probably do Duboisi, as these seem to be considered the least demanding of the Tropheus, and a good starting point? Was thinking I would do 20-25 initially? Again, I am not new to keeping an aquarium, and the SPS corals, and fish in my reef were fairly delicate and demanding, but am I foolish to jump right back into fresh water & Tanganyikans with Tropheus, and am I setting myself up to fail?

2. Option #2 – go with a more balanced option, and get a dozen Cyprochromis, some cave dwellers like Julidochromis/Calvus, and some shell dwellers. Might not be as flashy as a Tropheus tank (basing this only on my own opinion, because this is the kind of tank I had back in the day, and have never done a full Tropheus tank), but might be better to get my feet wet again?

Appreciate any guidance and advice you are all willing to give. Really looking forward to have a Tanganyikan aquarium up and running again, just don’t want to jump from the frying pan into the fire, as far as stress, etc. Not saying I want an “easy” tank, and I enjoy doing maintenance, etc, but don’t want to set myself up for total failure either.
Thanks in advance!
rocknut

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: First post - feedback on set-up and return to Tanganyika

Postby DJRansome » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:22 pm

Why do the same thing as before? Go for the tropheus as it is clearly what you want.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Petricola
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Homeless Peacocks; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby punman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:23 pm

This is my third time in my life with tropheus and I have been successful every time and never lost an adult fish. I have kept them in groups of 20-30 fish in tanks ranging from 90 to 180 gallons. I have only done tropheus-only tanks and only had one variety/species at a time.
Keep up with your water changes and you should be fine.
Tanganyika Cichlids all the Way!
135 Gallon: Tropheus duboisi (Halembe)
90 Gallon: Frontosa mpimbwe f1 and A. calvus
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
punman

Postby rocknut » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:39 pm

DJRansome wrote:Why do the same thing as before? Go for the tropheus as it is clearly what you want.

punman wrote:This is my third time in my life with tropheus and I have been successful every time and never lost an adult fish. I have kept them in groups of 20-30 fish in tanks ranging from 90 to 180 gallons. I have only done tropheus-only tanks and only had one variety/species at a time.
Keep up with your water changes and you should be fine.

Thanks for reading through my post, and responding, DJRamsome & punman, really appreciate your feedback.
I think you are both right. I would probably regret not at least trying a Tropheus tank, so that's probably the way go. I'm thinking about buying maybe 20 Tropheus Duboisi juveniles, and having them being the only fish in the tank. For a standard 120 gallon, does that sound about right, or would I be better off bumping up the number to more like 24? I know it's key to not start with too few.

Also, if anyone reading this can recommend a good online dealer, or someone in Arizona that has these fish, I would really appreciate it.
rocknut

Postby noddy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:45 pm

I agree with the others. Go for the Tropheus tank. 24 is a good number for a group. Not sure I would chose Dubs just because you've heard they are less demanding tbh.
I have found that they are all behave practically the same. I think you should chose the ones you like and are available. The only thing I have heard is that the Brichardi types can be more aggressive (never kept them myself) and for what it's worth, the largest Trophs I have ever seen have been Dubs. I have only ever kept Tropheus in 5' 120g tanks so I don't really know about a 4' tank but, I would probably steer away from the Brichardi.
noddy

Postby punman » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:34 am

My first two times I started with thirty (Kirizas and then Chimba Red the second time). I did that because I was told I could have losses and you do not want to be adding new stock down the road. But I did not have any losses so maybe had more than I needed.

When I went with Duboisi this time I went with 20 because I have been successful before not losing any, and was also told that Duboisi were supposedly "easier". They were in a 90 gallon to start and now at 4 inches have moved them into a 6 foot, 135 gallon, although the 90 would have still worked. It has been 7 and 9 years since I had the Kirizas and Chimbas but it seems to me that the Duboisis are a bigger fish as adults - or maybe my memory is fading!
Tanganyika Cichlids all the Way!
135 Gallon: Tropheus duboisi (Halembe)
90 Gallon: Frontosa mpimbwe f1 and A. calvus
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
punman

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species