Lake Tanganyika Species • Black Calvus

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Black Calvus

Postby tx gnrl » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:32 am

Hello, new to forum 1st post and may be a silly one but I need help.

I have a black calvus roughly 6 months old. A LFS recommended him due to slow growing nature and my intent to move him from a 20GL tank to a larger one later. I now have a 40G breeder setup and ready to go but.... I simply am not a fan of him. I love his markings but when purchased (and I have gotten a lot of fish from this same store so generally trust the owner) I was told he had a fun interactive personality. I just don't see it. He hides all day long and Im not sure what to do with him.

I am new to larger cichlids but do have a few apisto tanks running and happily breeding so I am not totally green. I told them I was going to do some African cichlids or possibly even do a bumblebee tank and was led to believe this fish would grow and when the time came to do the tank he would be fine. Now I am not so sure. I think if I put anything in there they will bully him to death or he will just never be seen since he is already showing these characteristics.

Granted I should have done my research first but now I have this beautiful fish that I'd like to keep but am worried about and feel misled on. Will he start socializing as he gets older and will he be ok with others and if so whats the recommendations or count my losses and find him another home?

Thanks in advance
tx gnrl

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Black Calvus

Postby eighteighty » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:19 pm

Get him some friends! He's lonely. You can keep these solo in a community but when they're around their own kind they'll behave differently.

Calvus are one of my favorite fish and their personality is a main reason! I was going to add one to my Frontosa tank but decided against it for this reason.
150g Fluval FX5 & FX6
9 F0 C. gibberosa Moba
2 F1 A. calvus Black
eighteighty

Postby DJRansome » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:48 pm

I would not mix him with bumblebees or any Malawi, but agree with eight eighty. Always get six or more and let them choose their own mate, then you may have to rehome the others. They also take a long time to mature so think about this happening 2 years out.

Also a must-have fish for me, as I love the tribal look.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby eighteighty » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:18 pm

I should reiterate that bumblebees or Malawi are not suitable for them. Get them some nice Tanganyikan mates like cyprochromis or brichardi. Leleupi too.

Malawi is more manic, Tanganyikan is elegant, subtle and deliberate. Give them some time! Many that go Tanganyikan don't go back to Malawi!
150g Fluval FX5 & FX6
9 F0 C. gibberosa Moba
2 F1 A. calvus Black
eighteighty

Postby DJRansome » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:38 am

:thumb: IDK about brichardi.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby tx gnrl » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:35 am

Thanks for the tips guys, I have a spare 36 gallon at one of my offices that may be his new home. The wife went out yesterday after I had posted this and got some electric yellow labs in the tank I was moving him to. Meant to be a surprise but now I am stuck lol
tx gnrl

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species