Lake Tanganyika Species • Feeding Tropheus

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Feeding Tropheus

Postby kentc64 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:22 pm

I have a couple of questions for those of you with Tropheus keeping experience.

1. How often do you feed? I currently just feed once a day but have read where others feed 2 to 3 times a day in smaller quantities.


2. For those that feed more than once a day.Do you feed the same food every feeding? All I`ve ever done is a high quality Spirulina with skipping a feeding once in a 7 day cycle.
kentc64
 
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:23 pm
Location: Virginia

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Feeding Tropheus

Postby punman » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:03 pm

Are they adults? Fry? Juveniles?

This is my third time with tropheus. I feed the adults twice a day. Each time all they can eat in about 30-40 seconds. Adding it slowly to the tank over those 30-40 seconds.
New Life Spectrum cichlid pellets or NorthFin Veggie formula sinking pellets. Variety is NOT the key, consistency is. No treats of shrimp, etc, etc, like people do with other cichlids. Keep it simple and basic.

I have never lost an adult tropheus (except one that jumped ship and found him dead on the floor).
I don't skip a day a week for tropheus like I have for other cichlids. Consistency is important I think.
Sometimes if I am gone for a long day, (like leave in the dark or return in the dark), they only get fed once (30-40 seconds) but that is rare.
Juveniles get the same treatment as above but three times a day.

By the way, keep up with the water changes. If you are changing water once a month then you should not be feeding twice a day. But then, If you are changing water once a month then you should probably not be keeping tropheus anyways.
Tanganyika Cichlids all the Way!
90 Gallon: Tropheus Black Bemba
90 Gallon: Frontosa mpimbwe f1 and A. calvus
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
User avatar
punman
 
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:59 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta

Re: Feeding Tropheus

Postby kentc64 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:11 pm

They are sub-adult and I do weekly 30 % water changes
kentc64
 
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:23 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Feeding Tropheus

Postby nodima » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:52 am

Mine are fed 1x per day, I feed Kens green flake, and Kens spirulina pellets. Pellets are either 1 or 1.5mm. In past, I've used NLS and some other foods. Key is to slowly introduce new foods. The tank gets a 50% change weekly. This is a colony that has gone from 23 to over 50 and always has juvenile and fry in it.

My schedule just does not allow for feeding more than 1x daily.
180 gal - Tanganyikan community tank: Tropheus Bemba, Synodontis Petricola, Compressiceps

125gal - South American community: Geophagus, Acara, Angels, Severum, Festivum

75gal - Planted SA tank
nodima
Moderator
 
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:06 pm
Location: Mass

Re: Feeding Tropheus

Postby noddy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:04 pm

I used to feed my groups (30-36 pc per group) 1tsp of 1mm pellets, twice a day. I would mix NLS thera+A NLS cichlid formula, Northfin veggie and Northfin cichlid.
I changed about 90-100g on my 120g tanks every weekend.
noddy
 
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:54 pm
Location: toronto

Re: Feeding Tropheus

Postby kaphil » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:58 am

In response to your questions:
(1) twice a day when I can, once when I can't
(2) always feed spirulina flake and NLS pellets. 2-3 times a week I feed mysis and cyclops.

I have a tank of duboisi with juvies and fry that is starting to get over-populated! It does mean my feeding has to cater for all sizes and ages.
kaphil
 
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:38 pm
Location: UK

Re: Feeding Tropheus

Postby noddy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:02 am

kaphil wrote:In response to your questions:
(1) twice a day when I can, once when I can't
(2) always feed spirulina flake and NLS pellets. 2-3 times a week I feed mysis and cyclops.

I have a tank of duboisi with juvies and fry that is starting to get over-populated! It does mean my feeding has to cater for all sizes and ages.


Do you feed Mysis in order to condition the females for breeding purposes? I would feed mysis once a week if I was trying to build up the numbers of the group.
noddy
 
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:54 pm
Location: toronto

Re: Feeding Tropheus

Postby kaphil » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:53 pm

Not really - can it have that affect?
To be honest I have always added some frozen food to the diet of my tropheus, small amounts only and mainly mysis and cyclops though I have occasionally fed daphnia. Also it is handy for the fry because of the small bits that adults leave but fry will eat.
kaphil
 
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:38 pm
Location: UK

Re: Feeding Tropheus

Postby noddy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:30 pm

kaphil wrote:Not really - can it have that affect?
To be honest I have always added some frozen food to the diet of my tropheus, small amounts only and mainly mysis and cyclops though I have occasionally fed daphnia. Also it is handy for the fry because of the small bits that adults leave but fry will eat.


Yes, it can help the females become gravid. No wonder you have lots of fry. :thumb:
I use it the same way to condition Foai.
noddy
 
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:54 pm
Location: toronto

Re: Feeding Tropheus

Postby nodima » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:41 am

noddy wrote:
kaphil wrote:Not really - can it have that affect?
To be honest I have always added some frozen food to the diet of my tropheus, small amounts only and mainly mysis and cyclops though I have occasionally fed daphnia. Also it is handy for the fry because of the small bits that adults leave but fry will eat.


Yes, it can help the females become gravid. No wonder you have lots of fry. :thumb:
I use it the same way to condition Foai.



Used to use it for same purpose with my Frontosa. Interesting that it is ok to feed to trophs. Might have to try it, not that I need more fry though.
180 gal - Tanganyikan community tank: Tropheus Bemba, Synodontis Petricola, Compressiceps

125gal - South American community: Geophagus, Acara, Angels, Severum, Festivum

75gal - Planted SA tank
nodima
Moderator
 
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:06 pm
Location: Mass


Return to Lake Tanganyika Species

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests