Lake Tanganyika Species • Do calvus or compressiceps do well solo? Front tankmate...

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Do calvus or compressiceps do well solo? Front tankmate...

Postby eighteighty » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:33 pm

I'm setting up my 150 for a Frontosa colony and wanted to at least have 1 or 2 separate fish for variety. I really like the altolamps but don't want any added interspecies aggression or that might disrupt future front spawning. In essence I'm thinking 1 fish for variety and food cleanup.

I like altos, Julie's, and leleupis but the latter two I remember being rather territorial. Any thoughts?
Last edited by eighteighty on Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
150g Fluval FX5 & FX6
9 F0 C. gibberosa Moba
2 F1 A. calvus Black
eighteighty

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Do calvus or compressiceps do well solo? Front tankmate.

Postby eighteighty » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:37 pm

Anything added would of course be and adult and large enough to not be eaten.
150g Fluval FX5 & FX6
9 F0 C. gibberosa Moba
2 F1 A. calvus Black
eighteighty

Postby zimmy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:26 pm

There's no guarantee they won't be eaten eventually but starting off with them bigger is definitely your best bet. Altos are considered the best tankmate for fronts if you're determined to have tankmates. You could probably get away with one alto but I'd be more inclined to get a group so that you can see their natural behaviour.

I have 8 WC Mikulas with 5 altos, 4 julis and 5 petricolas in a 240G with lots of rocks for the smaller fish to hide in. The Mikulas are still small (between 4-5"). All the fish were added to the tank at the same time at the beginning of September 2018. So far the only casualty has been one very small juli. A couple of the altos tend to swim with the Mikulas, as if they are one of them. The dominant juli picks on the remaining altos but in an 8' tank there's lots of room for them to escape. The Mikulas ignore the other fish so far.
zimmy

Postby eighteighty » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:10 am

Thanks for the reply. That 240 sounds really sweet. I just have a 150 long which is great but limits me a bit more with stocking I think. I just ordered 9 WC Zaire Moba! They're about 4.5-5.5 inches so they have a long way to grow. I'm going to let them settle in I think before I decide on the altolamps.

I'd love to breed the Moba so there's some concern with the altos trying to pick off fry; I'll likely pull females and put in a separate tank to spit when the time comes.

You think a group of 3 or 4 comps would work out if I can get them around 3" or more?
150g Fluval FX5 & FX6
9 F0 C. gibberosa Moba
2 F1 A. calvus Black
eighteighty

Postby zimmy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:54 am

If you want to add altos it's probably better to have them in the tank before the Mobas go in or at least go in at the same time. The Mobas may be more likely to see them as food if they get added in later.

I just picked up a dozen F2 1-2" Mikulas from a guy who is breeding them in a 150G with julis and altos in the tank. He stripped the fry as it sounds you also plan to do. It can be done.

Do post photos of your set up. Mobas are beautiful fish!
zimmy

Postby eighteighty » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:51 pm

Thanks for the heads up! I've always tried added fish to existing tanks at night or with the lights out for that reason. The Mobas I bought aren't here yet as they'll be shipped once my cycle is done; they're 4.5" to 5" so at least they aren't TOO too big yet. I am concerned with the altos egg stealing as I would like to breed. I need to figure it out.

I'm still working on the setup and will add more rocks and want to switch out the lights to something less intense (was a reef tank before). I also have doors to add here as I refinished the whole stand and will build a canopy once it gets warmer outside, but trying to go for a real minimal look.
Attachments
IMG_4151.JPG
150g Fluval FX5 & FX6
9 F0 C. gibberosa Moba
2 F1 A. calvus Black
eighteighty

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species