Cichlid Fish Forum banner

100g Shellie tank

12K views 40 replies 8 participants last post by  fishguy1978 
#1 ·
Greetings, I am new to the forum but not to fish. I started 14ish years ago with 2 red eared slider turtles and then started reading aquarium books. I was instantly hooked on the idea of planted aquaria which I have done for most of my aquarium keeping. I spent 2 years profesionally in New York city installing and maintaining mostly salt water aquariums for NY Aquarium Maintenance, now Manhatten Aquarium.
Jump to the present. I now reside in the Fircrest, Washington state. I scored a free 100g acrylic off CL and spent several hours buffing scratches. My oldest daughter wanted me to set up an African cichlid tank leaning towards peacocks and malawi cichlids. As Cl would have it, I found someone rehoming 4 N. Multi for free and the tank direction was decided. After reading up on Multie tank mates I began looking for C. Leptosoma with no variant specific needed. I was calling every aquarium store from Portland thru Kirkland looking for these fish. I finally hit the jackpot when I found a local breeder 2hrs away with both Multies and Cyps needing rehoming due to their needed to move. I purchased 12 Cyp and 15 multies, both breeding colonies being a mixed adults and juveniles. Within a week I had a female Cyp holding eggs.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Dominant Cyp male hasn't stopped doing his shake dance and some of the juve males have started to dance as well.

Attachments

#7 ·
I thought there were just a couple but they are everywhere. I am more amazed because they have only been in the aquarium for 2 weeks.

#9 ·
noddy said:
Very nice. Looks like you might have Cyp. Utinta there. A beautiful non-jumbo cyp.
From what I have seen online the "Utinta" and the "Kerengi is."look fairly similar. The breeder said I could have some blue tails as well.

#10 ·
fishguy1978 said:
noddy said:
Very nice. Looks like you might have Cyp. Utinta there. A beautiful non-jumbo cyp.
From what I have seen online the "Utinta" and the "Kerengi is."look fairly similar. The breeder said I could have some blue tails as well.
They were sold as "Kerenge"? No need to think they aren't then. Kerenge and Utinta are very similar. I noticed the spot at the rear of the dorsal which I always associate with Utinta. A little research tells me that they both have the dorsal spot. You learn something new every day. :wink:
My Utinta would spit out blue/yellow and orange tail males.

#11 ·
Comparing pics of "Utinta" and "Kerengi Is." looks like "U" doesn't have the vertical bars that the "K" have?

#13 ·
DJRansome said:
If they were not sold to you with a collection point, I don't think you can ID from appearance.
They were sold as "Kerengi Is." Being new to Lake T and Cyp's especially I'm just curious and trying to learn the difference between the collection areas.

#15 ·
The Morning said:
The tank looks great. Any chance of getting some close ups?
Been a bit since I posted. I just added a video to youtube so I could share more about the tank.

#16 ·
I finally was able to change the sand and get everyone back into the 100g.

Attachments

#17 ·
I know everyone has been wanting me to post another video so here it is.

#18 ·
Recently moved the Shellie tank into the new fish room.
Shellie_100g.jpg

Fish_Room_Overview.jpg

#19 ·
I have had several spawns from the Cyps I got from you a few months ago, even though they are not nearly full-grown. Very precocious! =D>

BTW, where are you posting your pics so you can link to them on this forum? There doesn't seem to be a way to just upload images. TIA.

#20 ·
fishguy1978, I don't know how I missed your Dec. video update but watched it today and looking good. Also nice to see your fish room and the Shellies move there!

sir_keith, you need to open Full Editor, scroll down to Upload Attachment, Browse your files and choose what pic on your device you want to add to your post.

#22 ·
Not much to report. Tank continues to run and the shellies continue to multiply.

#23 ·
I have a 55g that I set up to house a Syn. Angelicus into which I introduced a few multies as dithers. I thought that the syn cat would eat the fry and keep the numbers down. Well, she is not doing her job and the numbers are increasing. Could I add a L. Malawi Dimidiochromis Compressiceps? My LFS has some that are 2-3in knowing that they can attain 12in and buffering my tank for L. T. is the upper end of the ph tollerance.

#24 ·
Many larger fishes don't view tiny Multi fry as worth the bother, but there are quite a few Tanganyikans that will fulfill the fry control function effectively without turning into 12" monsters. Some of these will also coexist with Multi adults in a 55, if that matters to you.

That S. angelicus female has always been very mellow; glad to hear that she is doing well! :thumb:

#25 ·
EDEC8318-975A-4BAF-B1D2-C4F19C2D9E6C.jpeg

Well, on Friday I scored a Sumbu dwarf. It's still tiny, about 1/2in. Got to watch it slurp down some frozen blood worms. Gonna be a long haul to get some size on it.

#26 ·
7BF7CFC9-D4B5-4E83-B17F-07024E99D17D.jpeg

Grabbed a shell with some new multie fry to teach the Sumbu to hunt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.