Cichlid Fish Forum banner

100g Shellie tank

12K views 40 replies 8 participants last post by  fishguy1978 
#1 ·
Greetings, I am new to the forum but not to fish. I started 14ish years ago with 2 red eared slider turtles and then started reading aquarium books. I was instantly hooked on the idea of planted aquaria which I have done for most of my aquarium keeping. I spent 2 years profesionally in New York city installing and maintaining mostly salt water aquariums for NY Aquarium Maintenance, now Manhatten Aquarium.
Jump to the present. I now reside in the Fircrest, Washington state. I scored a free 100g acrylic off CL and spent several hours buffing scratches. My oldest daughter wanted me to set up an African cichlid tank leaning towards peacocks and malawi cichlids. As Cl would have it, I found someone rehoming 4 N. Multi for free and the tank direction was decided. After reading up on Multie tank mates I began looking for C. Leptosoma with no variant specific needed. I was calling every aquarium store from Portland thru Kirkland looking for these fish. I finally hit the jackpot when I found a local breeder 2hrs away with both Multies and Cyps needing rehoming due to their needed to move. I purchased 12 Cyp and 15 multies, both breeding colonies being a mixed adults and juveniles. Within a week I had a female Cyp holding eggs.

Attachments

See less See more
#29 ·
sir_keith said:
fishguy1978 said:
Well, on Friday I scored a Sumbu dwarf. It's still tiny, about 1/2in. Got to watch it slurp down some frozen blood worms. Gonna be a long haul to get some size on it.
Really long haul. Altolamprologus grow painfully slowly... :fish:
I'm having trouble finding any info on growth rate other than "slow." Do you know how long they take to put on size?

#30 ·
Good question and no perfect answer! I found This article where the aquarist bought 1 inch juvies and it was a good year before he saw any breeding activity. No mention on how long it took the resulting fry to reach adulthood.

He mentioned males get around 2 inches and females 1 inch but I've also seen reports these fish can get up to 3 inches for males and 2 inches for female.

#32 ·
sir_keith said:
fishguy1978 said:
...I'm having trouble finding any info on growth rate other than "slow." Do you know how long they take to put on size?...
Figure a year minimum; from fry more like a year-and-a-half. :fish:
Thanks, I'll hold you to it and start making tally marks on the calendar :D.

#35 ·
Deeda said:
They are looking good and seem to have settled in well.
I was surprised yesterday when feeding that a couple of them were willing to adventure up to the surface to snag some of the floating pellets. I have one that looks like it would benefit from a term in a sanctuary away from the others.

#36 ·
The 100g 5ft tank has been replaced with a 90g 72in x 12in x 22in tank. I have added J regani, a gold calvus and a S multipunctatus.
Water Blue Entertainment Gas Electric blue
Water Underwater Fluid Fin Organism
Water Organism Marine biology Electric blue Fish supply
World Water Electric blue Landscape Bedrock

#39 ·
Reactions: Aussieman57
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.