Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Tanganyika cichlids again

31K views 68 replies 13 participants last post by  Deeda 
#1 ·
Hello, I am a bit new to this board. My name is Sibrand. The last 7 years I kept Centrals, but now I keep Tanganyika cichlids again.
Some years ago I posted a photo and desription about my L-tank at the "Aquarium Gallery" here.
I tried to edit it today. I had some problems with updating the photos :-?

I kept them Tanganyika cichlids for over 30 years. Mostly Tropheus, but also other species.
The seize of our tank is: 4.10 x 1.00 x 0.73m.

My wife Anneke likes to shoot photos and I like to make movies of our fish. Some of you might recognize some of my movies at my
YouTube-account.

Above a picture of some months ago.

The cichlids we keep today are:

2/6 Cyathopharynx foai "Magara" F2

14/14 Cyprichromis microlepidotus "Kasai"

1 proven couple Lepidiolamprologus attenuatus F0

3 Mastacembelus ellipsifer F1

7 Neolamprologus multifasciatus (with some fry)

7 Synodontis polli white Zambia

Here a movie I shot almost 3 months ago.

And some photo's :wink:

And another movie.

See less See more
2 7
#4 ·
Fogelhund said:
Great tank and size. How much territory do the attentuatus take when they breed? I've bred them, and found them to be very aggressive at spawning. Brave keeping them with the foai, but then you've got all that space.
I still have to find out about that :wink:

We only had a batch of eggs once... and they were all eaten by the male.

This couple is a proven couple and F0. They had a lot of fry when someone else kept them. The fry was sold to different stores in Holland.
I hope they will not be to aggressive, but so far so good.

The male measures about 15cm and the female about 10cm.

I bought them because the multifasciatus had a lot of fry, about 50. Today only 10 of them survived. So it works out fine for me.
I don't want to catch fish from this tank, because it is very difficult.

#6 ·
Fogelhund said:
I kept mine in a 180cm x 45 cm tall x 60cm wide tank.

I ended up having to take everything else out.
Thank you for your comment!

Not all the fish of one species have the same behaviour.

It might work out fine here, because the tank is bigger and other fish can easily get out of the way.
But we will have to wait and see what happens.

#7 ·
One of our Cyprichromis microlepidotus males has a bit of a head injury the last few days.

This wound is cleaned by a Synodontis polli white Zambia.

The photos were shot during daytime with a flash at a dark spot in the tank. The quality of the photos is not that good, but it
shows that the microlepidotus moves into position and that the polli cleans the wound.

The white spot at the background is where the polli hides during daytime.

#14 ·
We decided to add a group (9) of Xenotilapia spilopterus to our tank. They are still small (between 4 and 5 cm). The attenuatus
male and female tried to attack them from the start. When they found out that the spilopterus are simply too fast for them,
they stopped the attacks. Probably only a waste of energy for them :roll:

Some more pictures by my wife.

And a foai "Magara" male in the sunlight this afternoon :wink:

#20 ·
Some pictures of the spawning process of the attenuatus.

Some days ago I added a big shell (almost as big as a fist) to see what will happen. After some digging in the sand and hiding
the shell a bit (the way ocellatus does). The attenuatus gave us a big suprise yesterday.

It is the first time that the male didn't eat the eggs from the start. I moved the shell with the female to a smaller tank. So that
the fry can be raised by the female. That might be better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.