Lake Tanganyika Species • 2000 Gallon Tanganyikan Project

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Re: 2000 Gallon Tanganyikan Project

Postby ClearMud » Mon May 28, 2012 4:23 am

28 days, our foundation only had its frame on for 6 days.
28 days is fully cured for a foundation it can be taken off awhile before then. 1 day is ok for what he did. :)
20G 5 Gold gold ocellatus

29G:2 Blue Rams, 2 White Cloud Danio/minnow and 2 Glowlight Tetras

80G:2 EBJD, 13-11 BGJD, 2 Giant Danios, 1 Iridescent Shark, 1 Baby Convict and breeding pair of BN Plecos
ClearMud

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby h0nkzz » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:24 am

If you notice, only the non-load bearing formworks are taken off. All the formwork that supports the weight are still there. Reason is concrete should cure faster when its exposed to air ??
h0nkzz

Postby reflections » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:09 pm

We are praying you have nothing short of complete peace, and ease as you enjoy your new home. Big dreamers, see big things:-)

Very Gorgeous,

Nancy
reflections

Postby EpicCichlids » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:45 am

WOW! :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: that's one of my dream tanks! wish you the best of luck with it; coming along great so far mate!
Fish, fish, and more fish!
EpicCichlids

Postby Galc » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:38 am

I will be glad to hear all the details about your project because I have wish to do something like this in future.
How is with insulation of reinforced concrete? Will you have to insulate reinforced concrete and how will you do that or there is no need to do that?

I will cross my fingers to wish you good luck at your project.
:popcorn:
Galc

Postby Dawg2012 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:49 pm

Freaking...

Awesome! :o

:thumb:
125 Borleyi, Electra and Dolphins
125 Afra, Red-Top Hongi, White/Yellow labs
75 Multies, Cyps and Caudo's (maybe)
75 White Calvus, in work (want another Afra tank :) )
55's Paracyps, Alto's, Peacock, BN Pleco's
Various others...
Dawg2012

Postby MR320 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:48 pm

I can't wait to see this done. Man I wish I had the space and money to do that :D :D
MR320

Postby LanceN34 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:40 pm

Awesome build....any updates?
LanceN34

Postby olliesshop » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Very Cool ... that's quite a project !!! :popcorn: :D
Tim
Species Neolamprologus Brichardi tank - 125g
Pictures - http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Other/Bik ... 0989_tpCny
Video updates ... http://www.youtube.com/user/olliesshop?feature=mhee
olliesshop

Postby ox777 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:14 pm

h0nkzz wrote:If you notice, only the non-load bearing formworks are taken off. All the formwork that supports the weight are still there. Reason is concrete should cure faster when its exposed to air ??

Exposing concrete to air can actually stop the curing (aka hydration) process, resulting in concrete that never reaches it's strength potential. You can speed up the curing process by raising the temperature, but you must do so in a controlled environment, and provide extra water as hot concrete is thirsty concrete. In the south, you'll see builders water concrete slabs with sprinklers or cover with burlap to ensure the mixture is getting enough water to finalize the crystallization and get the engineered specified strength out of the material.

I'm not a structural engineer, and I won't even begin to predict whether or not that structure will support all the water, etc... I do work in the professional construction industry. If I saw that concrete pour on my job, I would ask for a re-pour or a second and third certified inspection. But here in the states, labor, materials, and risk are probably a lot more expensive than in Indonesia. Maybe it makes sense in your location to just fill it up and see. If it fails, just rebuild! My educated guess is you'll end up with anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 the strength of that concrete. It may not really matter as most of the forces are handled by the rebar, but you should understand the risks you've taken and anticipate responses.

And yes, even here in the states, builders are way more careless with things like foundations and retaining walls. It's because on a structure so large, over-designed, and designed with the intention of sloppy curing/formwork practices, that it doesn't really matter. So if you house is built on foundations that cured for 6 days or whatever, I wouldn't worry too much. What makes me worry about this pour is that those beams and slab appear relatively thin, and are supporting a huge load. If you or the builder designed the structure using rules of thumb, I'd be extra cautious. If you had a structural professional design it, ask him/her to take a look at the pour and ask if he/she designed enough strength to compensate for abbreviated curing.

I think most people familiar with this forum and community have witnessed another large concrete project fail(link?), so I'm only trying to provide a word of caution. Because I look at concrete pours on a fairly regular basis, I've seen many pours fail inspections, have to be torn out, and re poured.

Again, really not trying to be negative or condescending. I'm just looking at a few images that make me nervous.
ox777

Postby h0nkzz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:40 pm

I'm not too worried about the structures at all. I've built swimming pools with less structural strength than this tank with no problem. I am a little anxious about working with the glass panels & installation though :D
h0nkzz

Postby Koteckn » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:27 pm

I really hope this thread doesn't die out because I can't wait to see updates let alone the finished product...
75 - Ebjd, Rokteil Sev, Spotted Green Sev, L128, 2 rainbowfish
33L - Multi Colony
30B - Peacocks (3)
20L - Pair Enantiopus Melanogeny
Koteckn

Postby ox777 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:16 pm

I have faith if you have faith.

I'm excited!
ox777

Postby camelworm » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:52 pm

any update?
camelworm

Postby Super Turtleman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:07 am

This will be awesome. Hope you continue updating...
Stocklist: F1 Zaire Blue Kapampa Frontosa, Williamsi North Makonde, Kawanga Gold Zebras, Saulosi, White Labs, Elongatus Mbenji Blue, S. multipunctatus, J. marlieri, Tropheus Duboisi & Chimba Red, Tropheops Chilumba (Mphanga)
Super Turtleman

PreviousNext

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species