Cichlid Fish Forum banner

emperor cichlid?

8K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  KitumbaKing 
#1 ·
If I understand correctly this is a fish from lake tang? I watched a video of a pair fending off a turtle and was in awe. I have a few questions. Is this a species available to the public? (I was unable to find any for sale online) My next question is, what would be the minimum tank size to keep a pair in alone together? While I know for sure that it is beyond anything I could attempt in the near future (LOL) I would love to keep a breeding pair of these awesome fish eventually. I am hoping to be getting a 180 or 200 gallon tank soon, but have a sneaking suspicion that this would be too small! :eek: Thanks in advance for your answers and please refrain from the "You're an idiot!" posts. I allready know that. :D

#5 ·
we apparently had a pair for sale at work (before i started working there)

if you can find em in australia with its crazy import regulations should be easy to get them in the US

can help u out with thae tank tho sorry mate ;) how sweet would it be to keep them in a pool and go swimming with them???

#6 ·
I've heard of someone keeping a pair in a 8'x3'x3' with a colony of Mpimbwe Frontosa :drooling: I wouldn't want to keep them in anything smaller, but if you can get your hands on a tank that size I'm sure hunting some down wouldn't be hard.

#8 ·
I know a guy that had a pair in a 240 gallon tank. The footprint was 8'x2'x2'. Amazingly enough they actually spawn for him in that tank. I believe the male eventually killed the female, but he sold off many fry from that one spawn.

#9 ·
Darkside said:
They are around, you need a custom tank for them. I'm kicking around the idea of it when I move later in the year.
Go for it :thumb:
but only as you only get 1 tank right? :lol:

I do have to agree on a custom tank, they do get very large and most tanks arent 3' deep.
But that would be cool.

#14 ·
My lfs has one of these, actually. In the 1'-2' range. Its in basically a cube shaped holding tank, roughly just big enough for the poor fish to turn around. I believe its for sale in the $100-$300 range. They say its a female. Sure would be nice if someone could give it a nice home. I certainly don't have a setup for her, and even if I did, I'm sure there are much cooler things you could do with a big tank like that.

#16 ·
Darkside said:
I don't know if that's true, there's nothing cooler than the King of cichlids. ;)
Sure they are cool and a fish I really want to try and breed one day. Not just a couple of breeds in a 6 foot tank but one where they can live halfway decent lives and breed a number of times, I
estimate that to be about 8 foot by 3 by 3 with dither fish like large fronts as dithers. Otherwise I guess I would just be keeping em for a while before the death of the female and then prob dumping the male on a public aquarium.

All the best James

PS I have seen em at 6" for about £60 here in the UK but think it less than resposible to sell em at this size (and price) without major warnings. :wink:
May well breed as little as 12" but then will easily get to 36" if given decent space and time to develop.

#17 ·
#20 ·
These fish are common in the trade if you go to stores that specialize in monster fish.

You can get small 3 inch ones from Ocean Blue in Orange, CA for 19.99 year round. He also sells adult specimens and ones of varying size.

Monsterfishkeeper has a few good tank examples, I would say a 300g + is needed for them prefferably 500+ so they can stretch their fins.

I think Brian ships so you could always just search the storenamein google with orange ca then call him.

#24 ·
I would love to one day to have the space to accommodate a large tank like others have suggested. It's going to be awhile, might as well start planting the seed with my wife....

I have two groups of kitumba Frontosa it would be great to put them in one giant aquarium with some of these monsters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.