Lake Tanganyika Species • emperor cichlid?

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Postby 24Tropheus » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:21 pm

Darkside wrote:I don't know if that's true, there's nothing cooler than the King of cichlids. ;)

Sure they are cool and a fish I really want to try and breed one day. Not just a couple of breeds in a 6 foot tank but one where they can live halfway decent lives and breed a number of times, I
estimate that to be about 8 foot by 3 by 3 with dither fish like large fronts as dithers. Otherwise I guess I would just be keeping em for a while before the death of the female and then prob dumping the male on a public aquarium.

All the best James

PS I have seen em at 6" for about £60 here in the UK but think it less than resposible to sell em at this size (and price) without major warnings. :wink:
May well breed as little as 12" but then will easily get to 36" if given decent space and time to develop.
Tanks 180, empty revamping 100,65,60g Tropheus/tang communities 75g revamping. 29gx3 shelly communities, 29g Trigs breeding. 20gx2 shelly tanks. BCA member 207. Try it you might like it.
24Tropheus

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Creepy85 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi there,

some german importeurs had and have this fish...correctly known as boulengerochromis microlepis ;) .

So look at this topics:

http://www.tropheus-forum.de/forum/view ... microlepis

http://www.tropheus-forum.de/forum/view ... microlepis
Greetings from Germany

Simon

http://www.einrichtungsbeispiele.de/ind ... d=0&uid=91 <-- My O. ventralis Tank.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SimonV0585?feature=mhum my youtube channel.
Creepy85

Postby Darkside » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:20 pm

Creepy85 wrote:Hi there,

some german importeurs had and have this fish...correctly known as Boulengerochromis microlepis ;) .

:wink: :lol:
Darkside

Postby firetiger » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:22 am

:lol: uh.... I tried but my German is a little rusty. :thumb:
firetiger

emperor cichlids

Postby UFFDA » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:13 pm

These fish are common in the trade if you go to stores that specialize in monster fish.

You can get small 3 inch ones from Ocean Blue in Orange, CA for 19.99 year round. He also sells adult specimens and ones of varying size.

Monsterfishkeeper has a few good tank examples, I would say a 300g + is needed for them prefferably 500+ so they can stretch their fins.

I think Brian ships so you could always just search the storenamein google with orange ca then call him.
UFFDA

Re: emperor cichlid?

Postby Malawibob » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:50 pm

I have a pair in my 15ft x 4ft x 6ft tank, they live with a group of Moba Frontosa, a group of Dardenni and a group of Diagramma.
MalawiBob

Only two things mix well in water - Cichlids & Whisky
Malawibob

Postby Deeda » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:25 am

Well Welcome back Malawibob! I'd love to see some pics if you can post them.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby Fogelhund » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:15 pm

Fogelhund

Postby KitumbaKing » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:07 am

I would love to one day to have the space to accommodate a large tank like others have suggested. It's going to be awhile, might as well start planting the seed with my wife....

I have two groups of kitumba Frontosa it would be great to put them in one giant aquarium with some of these monsters.
KitumbaKing

Postby DJRansome » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:00 pm

Fronts do not always do well with other species, do lots of research.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby sir_keith » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:08 pm

KitumbaKing wrote:I have two groups of kitumba Frontosa it would be great to put them in one giant aquarium with some of these monsters.

That is going to be one very unhappy tank... :o
sir_keith

Postby Fogelhund » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:47 pm

KitumbaKing wrote:I would love to one day to have the space to accommodate a large tank like others have suggested. It's going to be awhile, might as well start planting the seed with my wife....

I have two groups of kitumba Frontosa it would be great to put them in one giant aquarium with some of these monsters.

You don't really want to keep frontosa with them, unless the tank is ridiculously big. By that, I mean something that is probably in the neighbourhood of 10ft x 10 ft x 4ft or bigger.
Fogelhund

Postby KitumbaKing » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:04 pm

Fogelhund wrote:
KitumbaKing wrote:I would love to one day to have the space to accommodate a large tank like others have suggested. It's going to be awhile, might as well start planting the seed with my wife....

You don't really want to keep frontosa with them, unless the tank is ridiculously big. By that, I mean something that is probably in the neighbourhood of 10ft x 10 ft x 4ft or bigger.

Yeah, it would be a monster tank like in the video that was posted. We can all dream right. Realistically a 10ft x 2ft x 2ft is more attainable, and I would likely do Benthochromis instead.
KitumbaKing

Previous

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species