Lake Tanganyika Species • have a question

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

have a question

Postby schrader » Wed May 14, 2008 11:45 pm

i have a 200 gallon tank i have wc chaitika frontosa also known as a zambia variant 2 female and 1 male with 4 juvies i was wondering if i could add a group of Fairy Cichlids or scientfic name Brichardi cichlid to the mix if there is someone that can help me with this decision that would be great also they do come from the same lake so water paramenters are not an issue i am just wondering how it would work in an aquirum situation ty.

schrader

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby GJx » Thu May 15, 2008 9:55 am

My short answer would be yes, they can be added together (with some likely & possible problems .)

I have seen many tanks with this combo, (along with Lelupie) & they work out fairly well & are loosley from similiar water parameters (fronts being in deeper spots along the coastlines) in the wild.

HOWEVER, over the years I've noticed that the problem with the juvie front & brichardi mix, is that the brichardi can be rather aggressive & nippy & could destroy the extended fins on frontosas by picking at them.

I would also mention that b/c these two fish are drastically different in size, many times the brichardi in a tank with fronts are MATURE specimen where the fronts are juvie & the aggression of the adult brichardi can get to be a little much.

I personally have brichardi ( a group of 5 ) with my fronts & I think the key to the safety of the juvie fronts is a large aquarium, where space isn't as much an issue as some smaller ones.

Just MY Experience.

gjx
GJx

Postby lloyd » Thu May 15, 2008 10:52 am

success depends on design. if your rock work is so tight, that the neolamps can colonize the entire floor area, then your fronts will get picked on every time they attempt to graze. if your floor is left too open, where single brichardi might risk getting cornered, then the frontosa will snack it. HTH.
lloyd

Postby schrader » Fri May 16, 2008 1:40 am

ty i guess i have some thinking to do before i make a decision.
schrader

Postby Bearfan » Fri May 16, 2008 12:16 pm

My daffodils were extremely aggressive when breeding and I would not put them with my fronts. They can take over a very large area when spawning.
Bearfan

Postby VinCe » Fri May 16, 2008 4:09 pm

I too would not put them in with my fronts. Like stated above when breeding they take a huge area and they will nip on your fronts trailers.
VinCe

Postby cichlidgirl1 » Fri May 16, 2008 4:22 pm

You can put a single specimen in with the fronts but not a colony. THe breeding fish will take over the whole tank. I had 2 juvie brichardi that took over 5.5 feet of the 6 foot tank and had all the other fish including the adult male venustus cowering in the corner. I found out later that is typical of what happens. When i removed them to their own tank and left a oddball male brichardi in the front tank i noticed all was well. Do them single or not at all .
cichlidgirl1

Postby schrader » Fri May 16, 2008 5:28 pm

i was thinking i would only add a group of 5 males i dont want to breed them.
schrader

Postby tirzo13 » Fri May 16, 2008 7:15 pm

i'd only put a single male in.
a group may still attempt to give breeding behavior, at any rate that is 5 little mouths to destroy your frontosa trailers.
really to fully appreciate frontosa a species tank is best or fish that have zero aggression.
tirzo13

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species