Lake Tanganyika Species • questons about callachromis species.

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

questons about callachromis species.

Postby [email protected] » Wed May 14, 2008 12:27 am

i have a 100 gallon tank 5 feet long, 12 inches wide, and 2 feet high. i was just wondering if i could put a group of callochromis Melanostigma. i would get approximaltly 8 of them. would they be too aggressive? the tank mates are 6 alto comps, 15 jumbo cyps, and 6 multies. If i cannot get the melanostigma, i will get 8 callochromis Stappersi. i have a question also about the stappersi. do they have any color at all, because all the pictures i see in the books and internet show them as plain silver fish. thanks
[email protected]

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby BrownBullhead » Wed May 14, 2008 12:49 am

[email protected]: Some pictures showing blue and red sheen highlights here ... http://www.destin-tanganyika.com/Galeri ... persii.htm
BrownBullhead

Postby fiupntballr » Wed May 14, 2008 1:40 am

I would be careful they are way more aggressive that alot of the literature has out there.

I would have 1 male and 5 or 6 females at least..... The problem is with these guys is that you ideally want vast areas of sand to see them do their normal activities etc.. Well there isn't then much chance to have lots of rocks.. The male chases my males around my 180 which is 72X2424 from top to bottom non stop.... has already killed one of mine... and has my females bunched up...

All of the aggression has been species specific with an occasional get way from my pit light chase or other guys.

The females are plain silver the males get an iridescent sheen with white and red on dorsal and depending on the males some levels of a light orangeish red along the top sides...

I did have a female release 25 fry which im pretty happy about...
fiupntballr

Postby Charles » Wed May 14, 2008 2:51 am

i do experience the same with the male went rampage and killed everyone except 1 female in a 72" 135 gallon tank.
Charles

Postby fiupntballr » Wed May 14, 2008 2:05 pm

Yepo

Charles how is the single male and female dealing in your tank now?
fiupntballr

Postby Charles » Wed May 14, 2008 6:42 pm

they were fine. Produced hundreds of babies... Then I sold the babies + parents.
Charles

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species