Lake Tanganyika Species • Gobies & Ventralis or Descampsi as tankmates?

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Gobies & Ventralis or Descampsi as tankmates?

Postby Qaddiction » Tue May 13, 2008 3:13 pm

I have two 120 gallon tanks with a 60" x 18" footprint. I was thinking of doing a group of ten Ectodus Descampsi in one tank and a group of eight Ventralis in the other. Could I possibly have a pair of Eretmodus Cyanostictus in both of the tanks also? Most of the footprint would be left open. I was thinking some small rock piles in the corners for the gobies and a few openly spaced rocks in the open sand floor to seperate territories for the Descampsi & ventralis. Would this work?
Qaddiction

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby 24Tropheus » Tue May 13, 2008 3:18 pm

I have 2 Tanganicodus and 7 ventralis in a 64"x15"x18" seems fine. Not quite the same but your mix sounds fine to me. Both surf zone fish so its even habitat pure. Ventralis love the open sand as well as some rocks, so I think you are on the right track. (both can be bred in bare tanks but its nice to keep em in biotype)
Sorry I have never kept Ectodus descampsi but think that would be fine too.
Two habitats open sand and surf zone but enough room to combine two habitats I think.
24Tropheus

Thanks.

Postby Qaddiction » Tue May 13, 2008 4:09 pm

I have a nice adult group of ten Ectodus currently in a 55 gallon by themselves. I also have 6 gobies that are only around one inch. I'm hoping to get two pairs out of them (time will tell). Now I just need to find a group of Ventralis. I also think I'm going to try to make a DIY background for these two tanks since they are really my only show tanks. So I figured I have a couple months yet before I put the fish in. Thanks for your experience. Anyone else?
Qaddiction

Postby noddy » Wed May 14, 2008 3:32 pm

I have kept gobies with ventralis without any problems.
noddy

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species