Lake Tanganyika Species • Life span of tropheus?

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Life span of tropheus?

Postby IrkedCitizen » Mon May 12, 2008 6:29 pm

Title of thread states it all really but given proper water quality and foods how long can tropheus live? 7, 8, 9, 10+ years?
IrkedCitizen

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby vibsn » Mon May 12, 2008 7:12 pm

i've heard that they cane live up till 20 years! Mine Kiriza are now 7 years and in great condition.
375 l tropheus sp red livua
375 l tropheus sp red lunangwa
530 l tropheus moorii lufubu
720 l tropheus sp black kiriza
vibsn

Postby IrkedCitizen » Mon May 12, 2008 8:02 pm

If that is true then that is cool.

A guy here is selling a colony of about a dozen adult duboisi that are like 7-8 years old for $50. There are 7-8 juvies in the tank and those are included in the price as well. He is selling them because he sold the 125g they were in and they are now being housed in a smaller tank. .I was thinking about getting them but didn't want to buy them and have the adults for like 5 months and they die of old age.

So I figured I would ask the collective minds on here.
IrkedCitizen

Postby BrownBullhead » Mon May 12, 2008 10:15 pm

vibsn: Are your fish still producing offspring?
BrownBullhead

Postby IrkedCitizen » Tue May 13, 2008 1:57 am

Well I went and checked them out tonight and ended up bringing them home. Couldn't count them all while they were in the tank so we counted as we netted them out. 20 fish total, 10 adults, 4 juvies 2.5-3" with spots that are starting to get their stripe, 6 fry at 1-1.25" long.

He originally bought 12 of them at 1-1.25" seven to eight years ago and with there being fry in the tank they are still breeding.

I am not really worried about the bloodline or what generations of fish it consists of they cost me $50 and I bought a brand new unopened 5lb bag of spirulina flake from him for $20. Even if there was no breeding activity 20 fish still would have been worth the $50. He sold his 125g like I stated earlier and is just trying to get rid of the fish. He just wants to keep his yellow labs that are in his 46g bow front and that's it.

These are my first tropheus and I have 20 f1 moliro coming this weekend. Anyway, I'll try to get pictures here in a little bit and post a new thread with them.
IrkedCitizen

Postby BrownBullhead » Wed May 14, 2008 12:38 am

BrownBullhead wrote:vibsn: Are your fish still producing offspring?

Nevermind, I saw this photo you posted in another thread, which would answer the question for you. :)

BrownBullhead

Postby vibsn » Wed May 14, 2008 4:31 pm

yes they still produce offspring:) i just sold off 30 young fish.
[/img]
375 l tropheus sp red livua
375 l tropheus sp red lunangwa
530 l tropheus moorii lufubu
720 l tropheus sp black kiriza
vibsn

Postby delock » Thu May 15, 2008 7:50 pm

IrkedCitizen wrote:Well I went and checked them out tonight and ended up bringing them home. Couldn't count them all while they were in the tank so we counted as we netted them out. 20 fish total, 10 adults, 4 juvies 2.5-3" with spots that are starting to get their stripe, 6 fry at 1-1.25" long.

He originally bought 12 of them at 1-1.25" seven to eight years ago and with there being fry in the tank they are still breeding.

I am not really worried about the bloodline or what generations of fish it consists of they cost me $50 and I bought a brand new unopened 5lb bag of spirulina flake from him for $20. Even if there was no breeding activity 20 fish still would have been worth the $50. He sold his 125g like I stated earlier and is just trying to get rid of the fish. He just wants to keep his yellow labs that are in his 46g bow front and that's it.

These are my first tropheus and I have 20 f1 moliro coming this weekend. Anyway, I'll try to get pictures here in a little bit and post a new thread with them.

Why can't I find deals like this!
delock

Postby IrkedCitizen » Fri May 16, 2008 4:05 pm

delock wrote:
IrkedCitizen wrote:Well I went and checked them out tonight and ended up bringing them home. Couldn't count them all while they were in the tank so we counted as we netted them out. 20 fish total, 10 adults, 4 juvies 2.5-3" with spots that are starting to get their stripe, 6 fry at 1-1.25" long.

Why can't I find deals like this!

I just happened to see the ad on CL and I emailed him asking how many he had and how much he wanted. He emailed me back telling me that he had roughly 17-18 fish and that he would take $50 for the whole group. I don't know if you have read my other thread with the pictures or not but I ended up selling the 6 fry from this colony to a girl I know. So the group now contains 14 fish, 9 adults and 5 juvies 2.5-3". I also have a group of 13 F1 moliro fry less than 1.25" in the tank that I paid standard fry prices.

It's one of those "right place right time" type things.
IrkedCitizen

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species