Lake Tanganyika Species • Move or be moved??

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Move or be moved??

Postby shaky76 » Mon May 12, 2008 8:58 am

Hi all

I've recently bought some ikola juveniles which i have had for about a month or so. I started with 24 and lost some to bloat which i think now has passed/cured for now? (fingers crossed). I originally was having them in a 4ft tank on there own. But a few days before i got them another tank broke and i've had to put them in with some cypro's and some shellies. Not ideal but had no choice and now i've got another 4 and a half foot tank set up that i bought. I now have about 18 left that are about an 1.5" and really dont want to do anything to lose more!!

My question is what fish do i move as this last week or so they finally seem to be settling down and happy? I think the new longer tank would be better for them but i'm worried to move them?

Sorry its so long winded but just needed to tell story from start to finish :)

As i still regard myself as a beginner to tropheus and advice grateful. :thumb: these fish as juveniles are definately fun to watch :)

Also how quick do they grow cause they seem to be growing very quickly compared to my malawi's i keep?

Anybody know of anyone selling tropheus in the UK at the moment?
shaky76

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby lloyd » Mon May 12, 2008 9:30 am

personally, i would move the other fish, and let the tropheus remain. for now anyway. i do not like to move them more than i absolutely must, and every time they are moved, risk seems to be compounded. good luck, either way. :)
lloyd

Postby 24Tropheus » Mon May 12, 2008 6:03 pm

I see your delemma. If you do decide to move them, then use all the decore, substrate and filters from the small tank and add to the filtration, is the best I can suggest.

Maybe treat food and tank as transfered prophylactically for bloat? Octozin - from Waterlife Research is I hear recommended.
http://www.seapets.co.uk/product-detail ... y/985.html

Good luck.

"Anybody know of anyone selling tropheus in the UK at the moment?"

What are you after? Know a good place for WC. Also seen a few adds on the UK tang and malawi priverate sales site but buyer beware on those I guess.
24Tropheus

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species