Lake Tanganyika Species • help with heat

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

help with heat

Postby willyt » Sat May 10, 2008 10:22 pm

Can anyone advise me on how to control water temp. (cool down) I recently moved to San Antonio and due to the fact of staying with my daughter and lack of space, my 90' tank is in the garage. Well air temp was around 100 today as was the tank. I have already lost a gold head and a julie, tonight. I am afraid to look in the morning. I have 6 inkfins, 2 julies (with a 2 week old brood that were doing well.) 3 scoli cats and 1 brichardi. All suggestions welcome. Happy Mothers day to all you Mothers........
willyt

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby boostspike » Sat May 10, 2008 11:00 pm

:o :o :o 100F

All the tricks/tip I have know of is not gonna cool your tank down 20 degrees or so.. best bet is to get a chiller.. they're expensive but it works.

In the mean time, have a fan blow air across the surface of the water. Have another fan blowing air in front of the glass. Frozen bottles of water will also help. Add air stones to increase the oxygen in the tank. best of luck.
boostspike

Postby triscuit » Sun May 11, 2008 3:29 am

When my tanks approach 90, I start freezing large chunks of ice. I would fill 2 ice cream buckets with treated water, freeze them, and then rotate through, adding 1 ice chunk in the morning, one at night. You can also use store bought ice if you don't have the freezer space. With summer approaching, you may need to find a higher-tech solution but ice, fans, and increased oxygenation may help for now.

Good luck...
triscuit

Postby willyt » Sun May 11, 2008 7:07 am

Thank you, Triscuit and boostspike. I lost another julie this morning. I'm gonna do a water change this mornng and add some ice, will def have to look into a chiller :( , thanks again.
willyt

Postby aaxxeell » Mon May 12, 2008 4:53 pm

you could get a little window mounted airconditioner...
25g Planted
75g+ texas
130g GT
aaxxeell

Postby willyt » Wed May 14, 2008 10:53 am

thanks, Axe, but ther are no windows ..........
willyt

Postby dogofwar » Wed May 14, 2008 2:36 pm

When I lived in Sacramento (where summers are typically over 100 for days at a time), the only fish I lost in my garage fishroom from heat were Tangs: a whole colony of julies and a whole colony of multies.

The best, practical way of keeping things cool is to have a couple of industrial floor fans moving air around. I had one blowing air out of a window and another one circulating air around the tanks. I also did afternoon water changes of cool water.
dogofwar

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species