Lake Tanganyika Species • Is buying Wild caught worth the extra money????

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Postby dogofwar » Tue May 13, 2008 4:27 pm

Given the choice, I choose F1 fish over wild fish.

Price is a big factor ($5 vs. $50/fish) but also F1 fish tend to be healthier (no parasites, no stress from collection and shipping), and less psycho aggressive than wild ones....with the same or better color, larger size, etc.

Some people swear by wild fish and will argue that even one generation of captive breeding makes them somehow "unpure." Having kept lots of wild, F1, and F2 fish, I just don't buy it.

I think this argument comes mostly from those who wish to play "my fish is rarer than yours" contests.
dogofwar

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby 24Tropheus » Tue May 13, 2008 5:36 pm

Now we come to the crunch. Where do you want your money to go? There is the argument that WC fish support a good industry that increases the value of this resource and increases its value to locals making it more likely to be protected. Buying first generation fish also helps this by helping those who buy wild caught fish and supporting the collection and value of wild stocks.
Money for money first generation from wild are generally best for most hobbyists (like myself) I think, TB for generations should be cheaper but not always are.
If you have the cash and want WC fish with both their advantages and disadvantages and are willing and able to give them the extra care (and treatments) they may require then go for them. :thumb: I can not say you will have success but I can say its a a good ride. :lol:
Is your dealer a catch and ship guy. What are his pre treatment systems? What does he charge for this? Is it worth the extra money to you or can you do it better yourself?

And finally are you willing to do the background checks to ensure the WC are WC and not pond bred? Are you happy with African pond bred? Are American Pond bred better? Are the first generation fish you see for sale really first generation?

Wish I could help on these points but still researching (the market here) myself. :oops: :)
24Tropheus

Postby Multies » Thu May 15, 2008 9:38 pm

i like F1s better then wc.
wc seem to die easier(to me) and F1 do look better then the wilds.

and theres the topic again, in nature, they can pick their mates, in ponds or tanks, they cant.
so if they really do pond breed them, they wont be "wc" but more F1.

im sure darkside knows a ton about this stuff. am i right :wink:

you can risk it, save up and get wc fish, but how would you know if they are not wc? maybe just f1's with good colours or a TR fish with good colours?

wc fish do have certain traits that TR fish dont and alot of the times, wc fish are adults. that means less waiting.

in the end, its your choice if you want to believe it. but do we really need to categorize wc fish from f1 just for $? fish are fish.
Multies

Postby Reel North » Fri May 16, 2008 6:12 am

You need to be able to trust who the importer is, and also the exporter. When we import WC, they come in a little beat up, full of parasites, and generally not in amazing condition, because they dont get to eat 2 or 3 times a day, get chased and hunted, and dont really have an easy time of things in their natural environment. That is why quarantine is so important.

You need to know your importer trusts the exporter from Africa as well.

A big reason to buy WC is to be able to sell off F1 fry, to all the people who dont want to purchase, and spend the dollars, on WC.

The thing that really bothers me is people who sell F1 or F2 asWC for really cheap prices - it does the hobby absolutely no favours.

We can show the shipping info for all of our fish, to show where they come from, and we know our guy in Africa doesnt Tank raise on the lakeshore.
Reel North

Postby lloyd » Fri May 16, 2008 9:32 am

[quote="Reel North"]The thing that really bothers me is people who sell F1 or F2 asWC for really cheap prices - it does the hobby absolutely no favours.[/quote]

-this from the same guy, who advertised w.c. moba at the cheapest price ever in the gta. :lol:
lloyd

Postby Darkside » Fri May 16, 2008 6:50 pm

Multies wrote:i like F1s better then wc.
wc seem to die easier(to me) and F1 do look better then the wilds.

and theres the topic again, in nature, they can pick their mates, in ponds or tanks, they cant.
so if they really do pond breed them, they wont be "wc" but more F1.

im sure darkside knows a ton about this stuff. am i right :wink:

you can risk it, save up and get wc fish, but how would you know if they are not wc? maybe just f1's with good colours or a TR fish with good colours?

wc fish do have certain traits that TR fish dont and alot of the times, wc fish are adults. that means less waiting.

in the end, its your choice if you want to believe it. but do we really need to categorize wc fish from f1 just for $? fish are fish.

lol... We do need to categorize the fish as WC or F1 because the prices reflect the risk and cost of importing them. For obvious reason, breeding the F1 generation isn't nearly as costly as importing them from Africa. WC fish will have a slightly different phenotype than tank raised fish do to environmental factors.
Darkside

Postby Multies » Fri May 16, 2008 9:56 pm

still, were only labelling them for the cost.
i mean, if i would choose between wc and f1s at the store, if the f1 looked better, i would get the f1's. if the wc looked better, i would pick the wc's.

but how can we know if they were actually caught in the wilds and not pond bred?
the shipping quote can be there, saying its from africa, but we wont know if they were pond bred.
Multies

Postby Darkside » Fri May 16, 2008 11:24 pm

Multies wrote:still, were only labelling them for the cost.
i mean, if i would choose between wc and f1s at the store, if the f1 looked better, i would get the f1's. if the wc looked better, i would pick the wc's.

but how can we know if they were actually caught in the wilds and not pond bred?
the shipping quote can be there, saying its from africa, but we wont know if they were pond bred.

How do we know that they're F1?
Darkside

Previous

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species