Lake Tanganyika Species • Looking for some colorful small fish

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Postby 24Tropheus » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:33 am

Depends on how well your pair gets on. Some need loads of space others very small amount will do.

If you go Paracyps go Paracyprichromis brieni its about an inch smaller than nigripinnis less active, requires less space and less nasty to each other does better in small groups than Paracyprichromis nigripinnis . Not saying nigripinnis won't work just brieni prob do better for you.
24Tropheus

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Longstocking » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:48 am

I would say the reverse is true and the brieni are more aggressive and get larger. I have a brieni male that is 6 inches :idea: Never seen a nigripinnis larger than my brieni male.

My group of brieni are A LOT more aggressive than my blue neon group. Both of my groups have wild and F1 ( unrelated ) in them so I would say that's a pretty good judge.

My recommendation is to stick with the nigripinnis.... but everyones experience is different.

The gobies.... I'm not going to say it won't work, because I have seen a pair produce fry in a 20 gallon. But, I wouldn't recommend it. Why not get just one, if you are really set on gobies? You might be waiting years for a proven pair to pop up on aqua-bid.

On another note... gobies do well in some mbuna tanks... what size is your malawi tank and what is it stocked with? You might be better off buying 5-6 gobies and pairing them off in the malawi tank. Then once a pair is formed, move the pair to the tang tank. That is... if the tank is 4 foot or larger and doesn't have any C. afras in it.
Longstocking

Postby Cook.MN » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:42 pm

My Malawi tank is 4 foot and there are C. Afras in it...figures right?

I'll just get one goby :D

Just curious as to why you mentioned the C. Afras...they have a bad history of not playing nice?

Also (sorry for so many questions) with the Nigripinnis, how many is a solid group for my tank? 5?
Cook.MN

Postby Longstocking » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:54 pm

I'd go for 6-8 ...depending on what else you are planning. No less than 6.
Longstocking

Postby Cook.MN » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:00 pm

This now has me thinking of swapping my SA community/planted (which is a 55) tank to the 38 and doing a Tang community in my 55...just would be extremely hard because my SA is a fully planted tank...hrmmm..

If I stick with the 38 for the Tangs stock list would be then...

1- Goby
6- Nigripinnis
1-3 Something else, maybe a single Calvus (If I don't find a 3rd species will then bump up the Nigripinnis numbers to 8 )
Cook.MN

Postby yuju » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:10 pm

sounds like it'll be a wicked setup... i actually have similar stock in a 33 gal (five paracyps and one cyanostictus)

just my own preference would be to bump up the number of paracyps rather than a third species, reason being is that while staring at my tiny shoal of paracyps i'm usually thinking how much cooler it would look to have a bigger group in there...
yuju

Postby Darkside » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:24 pm

I've seen a couple aquariums where gobies have been crammed in similar to tropheus and have worked out long term. I know that most people don't like gobies enough to donate a lot of resources just to them, but it can be done and it will work. I guess its like my idea of having a 150 gallon species tank of just Ps. crabro, no one can see why I'd do it, but I think it'd look awesome.
Darkside

Postby noddy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:56 am

Are you suggesting craming 30 - 40 gobies in a tank. I can only imagine that any tank like that would be a holding tank for new arrivals only.
noddy

Postby Cook.MN » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:34 am

See, this tank I want centered around the goby...I like those little guys :D
Cook.MN

Postby Darkside » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:42 pm

I figure it was in the neighborhood of 20-30 gobies in one case and 15-20 gobies in another (where the aquarium was smaller).
Darkside

Previous

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species