Lake Tanganyika Species • Looking for some colorful small fish

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Looking for some colorful small fish

Postby Cook.MN » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:30 pm

So here's my tanks so far...

1- Mbuna
1- SA Community

And I have a 38 Gallon that I'm setting up, my tap water is hard so it's perfect for another African setup. Looking for some nice colorful Tangs to go in it, would prefer a 2 species tank and non-shellies.

Was looking at the possibility of some gobys...can anyone recommend a species or two?
Cook.MN

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Multies » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:51 pm

i choose, paracyps and gobies i guess.
why no shellies?
Multies

Postby Cook.MN » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:52 pm

Not a big fan of shellies, prefer to look at rocks in my tank over shells.
Cook.MN

Postby Cook.MN » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:38 pm

Ok, question regarding these guys...

On their profile it lists them as aggressive which made me think of a species only tank. However looking online for retailers I notice this saying a lot "a must for a community tank!"

So which is it? Species only tank or community safe?
Cook.MN

Postby Rick_Lindsey » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:26 pm

Cook.MN wrote:Ok, question regarding these guys...

On their profile it lists them as aggressive which made me think of a species only tank. However looking online for retailers I notice this saying a lot "a must for a community tank!"

So which is it? Species only tank or community safe?

Most of the goby profiles seem to suggest an "agressive" or "highly aggressive" conspecific aggression level, with only a "mildly aggressive" aggression level towards other fish. I suspect you'll find they like to beat up on other gobies, but will leave most other fish alone. Rare is the african cichlid that's not at least mildly aggressive ;).

-Rick (the armchair aquarist)
Rick_Lindsey

Postby Cook.MN » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:28 pm

Yeah, thinking they are like the P. Demasoni in regards to their attitude. Just need to find the equivalent to yellow labs Lake Tang style ;)
Cook.MN

Postby zenobium » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:00 pm

How about Leleupi and some Calvus or Altolamps?

-Zen
zenobium

Postby Longstocking » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:59 am

Calvus are the equivalent to yellow labs in my opinion. They can get along with most fish.
Paracyprichromis would be a nice addition to the calvus.

I would not suggest trying to pair off gobies in a 38 gallon.
Longstocking

Postby Cook.MN » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:19 am

Longstocking wrote:I would not suggest trying to pair off gobies in a 38 gallon.

Ahh, here I was thinking since they're so small 2.5" that having a couple would spread out the aggression.
Cook.MN

Postby Longstocking » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:50 am

Tangs are not like Malawi fish. "More" isn't always better.

Gobies are bi-parental mouth brooders. Meaning, the male and the female holds. Once a bond has been established, typically, only a pair will be tolerated in any tank. The pairing off process can be brutal... 4 to 6 foot tanks are usually considered good tanks for the process.

Now... there are exceptions... sometimes no "real" pair forms and a group ( meaning 6+) can live and breed together. Long term ( meaning more than a couple of years ), I have only seen this work a handfull of times.
Longstocking

Postby Cook.MN » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:57 am

I was thinking of buying a pair of gobies that have already paired off. This will take a bit more work but I feel a pair of gobies will be something you don't see in every aquarium and will bring some personality.

And this is what I love about Cichlids, they vary so much from lake to lake...love it.

Thanks for all the tips, keep them coming as I am now intent on setting up a Tang community tank!
Cook.MN

Postby Longstocking » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:01 am

What is the foot print of this tank?

In all honesty... you are going to have a HARD time finding a proven pair. They are not the easiest fish to pair off and once they do pair off people don't want to sell them. I think I've only seen 2-3 proven pairs for sale over the years.

I know I would never sell a proven pair !
Longstocking

Postby Cook.MN » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:08 am

36 1/4 x 12 5/8 x 19 3/4

Yeah, I was going to be patient and wait for a pair to show up on aquabid or something, but would outfit the tank as if I had a pair of gobies in there.
Cook.MN

Postby noddy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:46 am

I agree that your tank is to small for gobie's, when my male feels like taking out some agression on his wife, she needs all 200 gallons and the very extensive rockwork to get away from him. I would go with paracyps, no question about it and then, decide on a suitable tankmate for them, maybe a pair of gold head comps.
noddy

Postby Cook.MN » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:50 am

Wow, didn't think a 2 inch fish would need so much space!
Cook.MN

Next

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species