Lake Tanganyika Species • good news and great news in one day

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Postby cichlidgirl1 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:01 am

Wow, those are some very nice looking burundi. High quality. I can only hope mine will look as nice with time and care. you are doing a great job. Really.
cichlidgirl1

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby big-t » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:53 am

thanks cichildgirl,it's funny you say that ,i think they are very nice looking burundi too,originally i was going to sell 10 of the 20 fish that i have. one guy was very interested in the whole colony,and wanted to see pics so i sent them to him and he wrote back and said he wasent interested in the fish cause he wanted better quality fish,which kinda sucked to hear but i think he was wrong and that they are quite nice fish and getting nicer every week ,there color is gettin very blue,the breeding pair were solid black when i got them,and now the female has all her white stripes back,and the male is showing three white stripes and there getting briter by the week.he is about 11 to 12 inches and from what i understand the older the burundi the darker they get right?
big-t

Postby cichlidgirl1 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:13 pm

I dont know about that. My fish are all young still. This is my first experience keeping them. I've had mine for about 6-8 mo now. I really like them. I liked my burundi so much i bought some mpimbwe to compare. My burundi are maturing now and squabble all the time. Its annoying. LOL.
cichlidgirl1

Postby big-t » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:23 pm

ya mine squabble a little to but never actually nip or hurt one another,they just go mouth to mouth and basically show off to each other. on another topic i just cleared out my 28 gallon bowfront tank today and made a big cave for my holding female frontosa but a few things im afraid of is transfering her to the 28 gal without to much stress , and when to net her and do the transfer I've noticed eggs in her mouth for 4 days now .when should i put her by herself in the 28 gal? thanks for the help.
big-t

Postby cichlidgirl1 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:16 am

Are you going to strip her or leave her to do her own thing. I guess if your gonna strip her then do it when ever you feel like it. If your going to let her do her own thing then if she is not stressed in the main tank i would leave her there for several weeks. Around day 18 pull her out and put her in the other tank. If she acts stressed now and is having to run away from ohter fish like the alpha all the time i would put her in it now. When you transfer her try to have some tank water in a bucket to set the net in while you walk to the new tank (keeps her less stressed) After you put her in there make sure the lights are off and the room stays quiet. Let her be quiet for several hours, over night might be a good idea. It is possiable she might get scared and swallow the eggs when you net her , my other africans dont but i heard it on forums that it happens sometimes. Try to net her quickly and painlessly. If you have to block off escape routes with a tank divider etc.. You could probably get away with leaving her in the main tank with a tank divider if you have a six foot tank(i cant remember what size tank you have ). I have heard that you can offer two or three flakes of flake food every 3 days or so. Tiny amount, she supposedly can consume it, but my fish never touch food, they look at it and want it but refuse it.
cichlidgirl1

Postby big-t » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:26 am

I've been watching her and everybody seems to be leaving her alone for now . my tank she is in now is heavily populated and only 5 feet long . all these fish have been in this same tank for a few years now.The p.o. of the tank and fish said she has carried 5 or 6 broods full term and been succsesful , but that he never sepperated any of the fish so only a few fish per brood would survive in the tank with all the adult fish around. I want to keep as many as possible so i can pick my favorites and put them in my new 150 gal. And sell or give away the rest. My rena xp4 and emperor 400 with 2 jager heaters will be here tues.and i will set up my 150 gal. But will be very premature even with bio-spira to put fish in and be safe,i think? Atleast right away.I guess im just really not sure what im going to do , when you strip the female early you need to have a tumbler right,and if i wait say 15 more days when i strip her the little ones should be swiming on their own? is that right .thanks
big-t

Postby chago » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:10 pm

super cool Burundis!!!! :o

this proves that they'll grow traitor fins also!!! which, as I hear, is hard to manage!
chago

Postby cichlidgirl1 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:14 pm

big-t wrote:I've been watching her and everybody seems to be leaving her alone for now . my tank she is in now is heavily populated and only 5 feet long . all these fish have been in this same tank for a few years now.The p.o. of the tank and fish said she has carried 5 or 6 broods full term and been succsesful , but that he never sepperated any of the fish so only a few fish per brood would survive in the tank with all the adult fish around. I want to keep as many as possible so i can pick my favorites and put them in my new 150 gal. And sell or give away the rest. My rena xp4 and emperor 400 with 2 jager heaters will be here tues.and i will set up my 150 gal. But will be very premature even with bio-spira to put fish in and be safe,i think? Atleast right away.I guess im just really not sure what im going to do , when you strip the female early you need to have a tumbler right,and if i wait say 15 more days when i strip her the little ones should be swiming on their own? is that right .thanks

It will help to speed the new tank along if you put the used filter media from your existing tank in your new filters. Or if you have two filters on existing tank to put one whole filter on the new tank. Also if you are using the same color substrate take some from the existing tank and spread in the new one. You will be suprised how fast it will cycle. Called cloning a tank.
cichlidgirl1

Postby cichlidgirl1 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:02 pm

chago wrote:super cool Burundis!!!! :o

this proves that they'll grow traitor fins also!!! which, as I hear, is hard to manage!

Yes, burundi can grow nice trailers too. Here is a couple pics of my burundi juvie (4-5 inches) You can just see the beginning of a trailer growing on his dorsal fin and his anal fin as well. His other two fins are growing as well but appear to be several filiments not one.

Here he is:

cichlidgirl1

Postby chago » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:46 pm

:o wow!!!!!...... he's got great color!!!, mine are starting to grow them too, but it takes time!
chago

Postby cichlidgirl1 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:00 pm

Thanks, those pics were taken with tank lights on, with natural daylight, no flash.
cichlidgirl1

Postby big-t » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:54 pm

very nice fish cichildgirl ,i think your fish have very nice color ,and you can see they will have very nice traitor fins very soon . Very nice fish...
big-t

Postby cichlidgirl1 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:56 pm

Yes, i like their color. Its pretty blue for burundi. you should see them when i put the lights with the blue spectrum (marine glo bulbs) . BLUE FISH !
cichlidgirl1

Postby big-t » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:12 am

i just talked to the previouse owner of my burundis and he told me that the guy he bought them from said they were wild caught ,but who knows,actually nobody will ever know.But makes no difference to me i just like the fish regardless.What would you guys do in my situation as far as my holding female goes , put her in my 28 bow front by herself with a big cave ,which i have right now. Or put a tank divider in my overpopulated 95 gal 5 foot long tank . Or wait and set up my new 150 on wed. and transfer over my old emperor 400 on to the new 150 and put the new 400 on to my 95 gal to help speed up the cycling process.well the 150 gal. will also have a new rena xp4 with the already cycled 400 thats on my 95 gal. tank now . aahhhh i just dont know.. help.. and thanks just wanted to this forum is great...
big-t

Postby big-t » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:19 am

cichlidgirl1
thanks for all your help ill keep an eye on her and transfer her to my 28 bowfront around day 18 or so ,my 28 bowfront has been cycled with fish for around 60 or 70 days, but yesterday i sold the fish that were in there to make room for my female .Will the tank be ok for the next 14 days with no fish in there? no poop no bacteria right?? uhh this was supossed to be a p.m. but somehow i screwed up sorry everybody
big-t

PreviousNext

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species