Lake Tanganyika Species • shell dweller question

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

shell dweller question

Postby fish kid » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:42 pm

I've heard before that if you don't provide shells for shell dwellers then they will breed in rocks (like other fish), is this true?

thx for any input...

~fish kid~
fish kid

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby lotsofish » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:54 pm

I don't have an answer for your question since I have shells for my shellies.

But, why would you want shellies in the first place if not to watch their natural behavior which is centered around their shells?
lotsofish

Postby triscuit » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:42 pm

When I don't have enough shells, the fish that live in the rocks do not spawn.

I wouldn't suggest finding out the real answer: to deliberately not provide shells to shell dwellers will take the fun out of keeping them.
triscuit

Postby Darkside » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:27 pm

They will spawn without shells, if there are other suitable hiding places and not competition in the aquarium.
Darkside

spawn

Postby pcrawford1044 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:27 am

no the wont spawn with out a shell and if you have more shells in the tank then you do fish the others will bury the entrance to the unused shells which may trap the fry if theres any in them thats why i have only 1 shell per fish
pcrawford1044

Postby Darkside » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:47 am

Darkside wrote:They will spawn without shells, if there are other suitable hiding places and not competition in the aquarium.
Darkside

Re: spawn

Postby Rick_Lindsey » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:22 pm

pcrawford1044 wrote:no the wont spawn with out a shell and if you have more shells in the tank then you do fish the others will bury the entrance to the unused shells which may trap the fry if theres any in them thats why i have only 1 shell per fish

Depends on what sort of shell-dweller you have, actually. My multi's jsut dug all the sand out from underneath their shell pile, and were perfectly happy with more shells than fish. A shell might have gotten buried incidentally, but they didn't seem to be purposefully burying shells.

-Rick
Rick_Lindsey

Postby [email protected] » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:50 pm

my lamprologus meeli once bred on rocks even though there were shells in the tank.
[email protected]

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species