Lake Tanganyika Species • Crassus spawns..

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Postby Multies » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:59 am

why dont you bring the extra fish to your house??
put them somewhere that they wont get killed.
Multies

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby fishoverlivingspace » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:54 pm

Like I said, the fish will only have to endure another week of this until I go home for Christmas. I live 2 hours away and do not have a car. I am fairly confident that my fish will be able to make it through this, and my aquarium is right next to my desk where I will be studying for finals of this week, so as per the advice given, I will be turning the lights off while I am at my desk so I can check periodically on the goings on. Your suggestion seems like such a simple solution, and really, it is, but there are some major barriers keeping me from it, trust me. I care for my fish, and would not put them through this if I did not have to.
fishoverlivingspace

Postby fishoverlivingspace » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:24 pm

Okay, so the fish are home.. safe and sound. I lost a few babies in the 2 hour trip, but all the adults have survived and the lights are only on in both tanks that I am housing the fish in for about 5 hours a day, so they can catch up on some much needed sleep. I will return them to a normal day cycle within the next few days. The fry are growing at a decent rate, although some are still small. The average is probably 3/8", with the smallest being about 1/4" and the largest being about 1/2".
fishoverlivingspace

Postby ashilli48 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:36 pm

You know sometimes we all do unorthodox stuff in the keeping of our fish. Sometimes we even push the limits, i.e. too long before a water change or food, etc. Life happens. Ultimately you are involved in an awesome hobby and doing what you love. You are also very brave for posting what you are doing good, bad or ugly. Unethical or unwise may be in the eye of the beholder. Just think how many people outside of the hobby think the whole lot of us are abusing fish by keeping them in "boxes or water". Keep us posted on your fry progress.
ashilli48

Postby fishoverlivingspace » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:52 pm

Thanks for the encouragement ashilli. The fry are becoming quite self-sufficient, eating slightly crumbled aquadine pretty well. Unfortunately, it seems as if the trip home has broken the pair bond between the two adult crassus on top of killing a few of the fry. Hopefully they'll pair off once again, and I'll be able to raise some more fry.
fishoverlivingspace

Postby fishoverlivingspace » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:41 pm

So, I am back at school, without the fry. I didn't think another 2-hour trip would be beneficial to their health, so I left that tank at home and brought a tank with a group of pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi (west african, different forum), which have been spawning on and off. Anyway, the fry are all >1/2 inch now, and are eating anything and everything that I offer them. Looks like I've got a total of about 35 which should grow up to be healthy adults. I'd like to get them out of the tank as soon as possible so I can try to get the parents to resume spawning. They have been quite inactive since going home. Hopefully I can move them next time I am able to get home to do maintenance. Until then, I will rely on the family to feed them heavily and maybe do a partial water change here and there. Things seem to be going well!
fishoverlivingspace

Postby fishoverlivingspace » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:07 am

The young are just about ready to be split up! Half to my main tank and half to a friend's local retail store. And more spawning will ensue I hope. They are becoming very blue-eyed and -finned. Growing up to be nice looking fish!
fishoverlivingspace

Postby fishoverlivingspace » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:46 am

So, I'm going home in about 3 1/2 weeks when the semester is over, and I'll be splitting the young up, but now I've got new news. My dad e-mailed me this morning and said that the parents have spawned again, and there are 45 new fry in the tank. I'm excited, but I have a question to anyone who has bred crassus in the past. In your experience, in this species, do the older siblings tend to assist in the brooding of new fry, do they present a threat to the new fry, or are they a neutral party in all this? The average fish is around 2/3" by now and they are about 5 months old now. Thanks, in advance, for any tips.
fishoverlivingspace

Previous

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species