Lake Tanganyika Species • New Tropheus Tank

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

New Tropheus Tank

Postby Fishworks2015 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:02 am

Hello All,

I am planning to setup a Tropheus Duboisi Tank. Just have a couple of questions.

Would dimensions 170x45x45cm be enough to house 4 males and 12 females?

Also, I believe I should control the amount of light for just the right amount of algae to grow? because If there is too much light, the algae grows really thick, then the fishes eat alot, then poop alot which ruins water conditions.

Thanks
Fishworks2015

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: New Tropheus Tank

Postby sir_keith » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:10 am

That should be a fine stocking plan for a tank of that size.

Don't worry about the algae so much: your T. duboisi will get 99+% of their nourishment from the spirulina-based food you will be feeding them, and very little from any algae that grows in the tank. That said, Tropheus, like all herbivores, produce abundant waste per calorie consumed, so adequate filtration and frequent water changes will be necessary to maintain water quality. It's not rocket science: give them a proper diet and pay attention to water parameters and your Tropheus will reward you with years of enjoyment. Good luck. :fish:
sir_keith

Postby Fishworks2015 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:47 am

sir_keith wrote:That should be a fine stocking plan for a tank of that size.

Don't worry about the algae so much: your T. duboisi will get 99+% of their nourishment from the spirulina-based food you will be feeding them, and very little from any algae that grows in the tank. That said, Tropheus, like all herbivores, produce abundant waste per calorie consumed, so adequate filtration and frequent water changes will be necessary to maintain water quality. It's not rocket science: give them a proper diet and pay attention to water parameters and your Tropheus will reward you with years of enjoyment. Good luck. :fish:

Great. So how frequent should I water change? daily or every other day? perhaps there is a nitrate limit depending on fishsize? like 5ppm for small fishes and 15ppm for larger fishes?
I plan on getting 24 fishes at 1.5 inches then culling to 16 fishes at 2.5 inches.

Fishworks2015

Postby sir_keith » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:58 am

Fishworks2015 wrote:Great. So how frequent should I water change? daily or every other day? perhaps there is a nitrate limit depending on fishsize? like 5ppm for small fishes and 15ppm for larger fishes?
I plan on getting 24 fishes at 1.5 inches then culling to 16 fishes at 2.5 inches.

There's a great deal of misinformation about Tropheus online, and one of the myths is that you need to do frequent, small water changes. There's nothing wrong with doing that, but Tropheus are fine with 50% water changes once every week or so. Whatever keeps your nitrates low (~20ppm) will work for these fishes. :thumb:
sir_keith

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species