Lake Malawi Species • My fish bite me?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: My fish bite me?

Postby vann59 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:18 pm

Is there some kind of support group for battered aquarists?
PM me to join our local "Manasota Cichlid Keepers Network" here in Sarasota/Manatee FL area.
vann59

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby cichlid7 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:03 pm

I have had this w an unknown to me species that was probably overeager to breed w younger fish, no dice. this fish was an angry male that killed a few, and I gve him to the local fish store. then another one was the boss not letting any fish in sight without being tortured, then another one, (common yellow labs exct) in the haunted 30 gallon. I restocked & started over in that one sevral times, and bought a 55 & things calmed down.
cichlid7

Postby pmdf » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:18 pm

The only fish I ever had that used to bite me every time I placed my hand in the tank was a male Altolamp Compressiceps. Probably my favourite of all the fish I've ever kept, but he obviously wasn't quite so keen on me!

I've also had a few Neolamprologus Multifasciatus that have had a nibble on my hand now and again - those little things are tougher than miniature Mike Tysons and would be deadly if they were ten times bigger! :)
pmdf

Postby Dawg2012 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:21 pm

vann59 wrote:Is there some kind of support group for battered aquarists?

Looks like you'll have to start your own... I googled "battered aquarist syndrome" however none of the results listed related to a support group lol.

God grant me the Serenity to accept those little nibbles that do not hurt, Courage to withstand the ones that do, and the Wisdom to know when to fillet that fish for dinner!
125 Borleyi, Electra and Dolphins
125 Afra, Red-Top Hongi, White/Yellow labs
75 Multies, Cyps and Caudo's (maybe)
75 White Calvus, in work (want another Afra tank :) )
55's Paracyps, Alto's, Peacock, BN Pleco's
Various others...
Dawg2012

Postby DIAMOND_CICHLIDS » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:17 am

vann59 wrote:Is there some kind of support group for battered aquarists?

:lol:

I have had fish bite me , at first i was scared it would hurt, then when i noticed it didn't do anything i started tu put my arms in the aquarium with no worry....but now... that i see this i'm gonna start to be scared of them and be reticent in the next wc!! lol
70 gallons: cyno. Sp haras, labido sp perlmutt, pseudo saulosi
6 gallon
125 gallons : mixed malawi males

http://www.youtube.com/user/StraightFlint?feature=mhee

Please excuse my french :p
DIAMOND_CICHLIDS

Postby HealyPara1640 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:33 pm

In my south American tank I have a convict cichlid that draws blood! He's only about 3" now and it hurts like #%$&. Can't wait until he gets bigger ...
HealyPara1640

Postby Eskimette » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:59 am

theoryguru wrote:Wow, aggressive!

I dare not put my hand in with my 12" red devil, he's rips off the coarse sponge from the handle I clean his tank.

upon reading all this.. and looking at my little 1.5 inch babies.. I'm going to go get one of those rod-arms for my tank..lol.. you guys have all instilled fear..and I have tiny arms and hands.. so I'm that much more afraid LOL
Eskimette

Postby Runt105 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:08 am

wow...u all got me worried now..i had never been bit by my others I had in the past and recently started over again as my last one recently passed away after having him for about 5 years...i think he was a livingstonii...i admit i am not the most knowledgeable but know it was a male as he fathered the young of my OB Zebra...unfortunately, he was the only one that survived due to my mistake of grabbing the water clarifier instead of the tap water conditioner when i was adding water to main and nursery tanks but seemed real happy to have a whole tank to himself :) ...anyways back to topic, is that nearest pet shop in walking distance only sold the mixed africans and i think i may now have 3 kenyis and 1 Yellow Tail Acei at the time being who seems to be the dominant one in the tank at the time and I thought I read that kenyis were more aggressive than the yellow tail. After reading what y'all wrote, I went over to the tank corner she (i think) likes to greet me in waiting for food and getting all excited and I told her she better not bite me!!....LOL.....on another curious thought, one of the mbunas I used to have was addicted to bubbles..he would go over to where the bubbles were coming up, suck them in his mouth, swim across to opposite side of tank and blow them out and would keep repeating...Has anyone else had this experience?
Runt105

Postby Dawg2012 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:32 am

Runt105 wrote:...on another curious thought, one of the mbunas I used to have was addicted to bubbles..he would go over to where the bubbles were coming up, suck them in his mouth, swim across to opposite side of tank and blow them out and would keep repeating...Has anyone else had this experience?

Ah ha ha that's funny! I haven't had any fish do that but can easily imagine it. Their personalities and quirks are part of what makes keeping cichlids fun :)

I do have one fish that spits gravel at the plastic side of the time out tank when she's pissed. I swear she does it just to say she's pissed. She spits it hard so we can hear it in the other room. If you stand and watch her she'll do it right in front of you and look at you like... what are you going to do about that #$%&^*!?
125 Borleyi, Electra and Dolphins
125 Afra, Red-Top Hongi, White/Yellow labs
75 Multies, Cyps and Caudo's (maybe)
75 White Calvus, in work (want another Afra tank :) )
55's Paracyps, Alto's, Peacock, BN Pleco's
Various others...
Dawg2012

Postby repeter » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:33 pm

My friends flowerhorn bit his dad during a water change and his arm was shooting out blood. Feisty fish they are.
repeter

Postby sus » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:00 am

Tiger barbs (I know non-cichlid :P ) and Tanganyikan hecqui are the two kinds that used to nibble on my hand, later ones specifically during gravel-vacuuming. :fish:
Initially I couldn't believe this and was lil scared (as mentioned by Diamond_Cichlids), but finally found it didn't hurt.
sus

Postby bcoleiro » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:03 am

My Victorian Haps will bite my finger if I hover my finger around the surface of the water. I kinda trained them to do it though haha!! I would get my finger wet, stick some flakes to my finger and hover it about 3cm above the surface and they would jump out of the water to get the flakes!

Its quite a sight :)
bcoleiro

Previous

Return to Lake Malawi Species