Lake Malawi Species • Melanochromis Johanni

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Melanochromis Johanni

Postby kpswd » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:58 am

I am thinking about adding Melanochromis Johanni to my tank, and was wondering if they would do ok with my other spieces or if they are too agressive. I have had them in the past, but when I did they were the only spieces in the tank.

Yellow Lab 1M/4F
Cynotalapia sp. "Hara" 1M/4F
Rusty 1M/4F

Right now I have 1M/4F Acei in there as well, but I am hoping to get some of the light blue out of my tank and get some different color in there.

It is currently a very peaceful tank and everyone is spawning, and there seem to be enough F so that the males do not kill the F. I know that by changing the mixture I could be in for trouble, but I just want to add some color (F Johanni especially would add another dimension)

Any thoughts?
kpswd

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Fogelhund » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:26 am

What are the dimensions of your tank?
Fogelhund

Postby kpswd » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:08 pm

This tank is 75 Gallon 48" long
kpswd

Postby phister » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:37 pm

right now you have 4 species in there and you're trying to add a 5th.

i'm thinking that you're already at the max capacity IMO. if your tank is already settled in and you're gonna add johannis, you might just disrupt the whole tank.

i'm at 3 species and i already feel as if i'm overloaded
phister

Postby kpswd » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:47 pm

phister wrote:right now you have 4 species in there and you're trying to add a 5th.

Actually what I meant to say with my original post was that I currently have Acei in my tank, but I am removing them and thinking about replacing them with Johanni.
kpswd

Postby Fogelhund » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:14 pm

I wouldn't go with johanni for the difference in colour. You'll end up with one male, and the rest would be yellow females. Besides, they would likely dominate to the point that the other species wouldn't do as well.

Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos are typically less aggressive, and would be a better colour combo in my opinion. (the johanni types were reclassified from Melanochromis back to Pseudotropheus).
Fogelhund

Postby phister » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:28 pm

kpswd wrote:
phister wrote:right now you have 4 species in there and you're trying to add a 5th.

Actually what I meant to say with my original post was that I currently have Acei in my tank, but I am removing them and thinking about replacing them with Johanni.

oh i see now, but either way, you're at 4 species in a 48" tank and i think that's pushing it lol
phister

Postby phister » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:30 pm

Fogelhund wrote:I wouldn't go with johanni for the difference in colour. You'll end up with one male, and the rest would be yellow females. Besides, they would likely dominate to the point that the other species wouldn't do as well.

Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos are typically less aggressive, and would be a better colour combo in my opinion. (the johanni types were reclassified from Melanochromis back to Pseudotropheus).

i agree with fogelhund, ps. cyan(mainganos) would be a better fit. i have 6 mainganos in my tank and i love them, they're perfect in my tank. coloration and attitude wise :thumb:
phister

Postby JAyliffe » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:33 pm

I like my Johanni but honestly I aquired them by accident (LFS misidentified). That said I probably wouldn't add them in your situation, Mainganos are probably a better choice
250G Malawi Male
Mbuna Afra Cobue, P Elongatus, Albino, OB
Haps Borleyi, Moori, Taeniolatus, Fryeri, Ovatus, Taiwan Reef, Insignius, Intermedius, Venustus, Fusco, Livingstonii, Rhoadesii, Mloto
Peacocks OB Peacock, Lemon Jake, Rubescens, Dragon Blood
JAyliffe

Return to Lake Malawi Species