Equipment & Supplies • Question on Eheim Jager heater

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Question on Eheim Jager heater

Postby Fishy_Cichlid » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:41 am

I have a Eheim Jager 300W heater which is supposed to be the submersible type. My question is -
During water change, I usually put off the heater before starting the drain. Now, when I am filling up the tank after having drained out say 50%, can I put ON the heate,r whilst the heater itself hasnt been fully submerged with the new water ? Any chances that the heater will malfunction if not operated when fully submerged ?

Thanks Guys
Fishy_Cichlid

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby newforestrob » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:03 am

they can,but why would you want too?
newforestrob

Postby Azballa7 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:02 pm

If your heater is fully submersible then dont worry about it. I have a fully submersible heater in my 33 long. However the heater is too tall for the tank vertically so I placed it towards the bottom of the tank horizontally.

I can do a water change up to almost 60 percent without having to turn the heater off. Try placing your heater horizontally towards the lower end of your tank
Azballa7

Postby malady » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:27 pm

dosen't the heater have a auto shutoff if not submerged?
malady

Postby nodima » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:45 am

Rule of thumb - never run the heater when it is not submerged. There is definitely a great risk of the heater breaking if run this way.
180 gal - Kigoma Frontosa, Synodontis Multipunctatus, Giant Danios

125gal - Tanganyikan community tank: Tropheus Bemba, Synodontis Petricola, Compressiceps

75gal - Planted SA tank
nodima

Postby smiller » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:41 am

I agree with nodima, no way would I run my heater if not submerged.
smiller

Postby Fishy_Cichlid » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks Guys.
Fishy_Cichlid

Postby Secretninja » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:31 am

How long does it take you people to do water changes?

My advice is don't run the heater out of water at full blast until it is too hot to touch and then drop it in a bucket of icewater. I have never had a problem with a heater exploding from draining water from the tank and then refilling it 5 minutes later.
Secretninja

Postby des » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:45 am

Some heaters have a hi-limit temperature cut out, turning off the heater, if it gets too hot. The heaters all have instructions and should be read and followed.

To be cautious, it is safer to turn off or unplug your heater before a water change.

The Eheim Jager descriptions:

"The temperature can be precisely adjusted from 18° to 34°C and readjusted if required. The control accuracy is +/- 0.5°C.
The heat is controlled to a constant temperature. The heating function is indicated by an on/off control lamp
The heater can be fully immersed, is protected against running dry and is suitable for fresh or marine water.
The glass jacket enlarges the heating surface and ensures optimum even heat transfer. Thus, a smaller wattage than other brands will heat the same volume of water.
Jacket of laboratory safety glass"
110G Mixed Malawi
90G Aulonocara jacob. undu reef
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/eastcrewboy ... ature=mhee
des

Postby theoryguru » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:07 pm

.. on a side note,

I have the exact same heater I bought new, do find it hard to turn the temp-dial?
Out of the box it was smooth turning then after a week in the water I have to use both hands to crank it.
theoryguru

Return to Equipment & Supplies