Central American Cichlids • Interested in Best Convict Cichlid Hybrids!

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Interested in Best Convict Cichlid Hybrids!

Postby Doc6DK » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:49 pm

Hi, I currently have a 40 Gallon tank with a couple Honduran Red Points(Blue Convicts) and a breeding pair of Convict Cichlids; most likely already hybrids due to the blue and yellow fins. At least the male shows these traits I believe the female is the closest to a pure Black Convict Cichlid. It doesn't matter to me because I just use their babies as feeders for my Oscar and Firemouths that are in a separate tank.

Anyways, I'm interested in what everyone thinks the best looking hybrids are that involve Convict Cichlids, Honduran Red Points, or Firemouths. Also, pictures of some you can find or own yourself would be amazing!:-) I love seeing new variations of fish. So please share anything you've found or created yourself that you think is cool/interesting in your eyes!

Thanks!
Doc6DK

P.S. I understand hybrids can ruin populations of purebreds for others! I do not plan to sell/distribute these fish. I'd just like to have a few crazy looking fish for my own fish tank! I find that hybrids are very interesting ugly or beautiful! All babies will be used to feed my other cichlids and fry used for healthy live food for my brother's smaller fish! I do plan to keep the best looking hybrids to have in my aquarium just for friends to see and wonder "What kind of fish is that?!?" So post your thoughts AND PICTURES:-D on cool, ugly, or beautiful Convict, Firemouth, or Honduran Red Point hybrids!
Doc6DK

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Chubbs the Jellybean » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:24 pm

I've seen a few cool ones, I'll let MonteSS post his AWESOME hybrid con/hrp male... but here is one I've seen around (credit to whoever's fish this is). It's a "firecon"

and even tho it's not completely relevant, here's a Texas x JD hybrid

55g (soon 75) - 1 Oscar (5"), 1 spotted raphael, 10 Tiger barbs, 1 Orange Seam Pleco (L106)
20L Planted - 1 HRP "Rio Danli", 8 pristella tetras, 2 unsexed HRP
15g - 5 unsexed Cutteri "Rio Jutiapa"
Chubbs the Jellybean

Postby SEAN420 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:46 pm

My convict n texas were trying to go at it. i got rid of both of em.. :) i didnt want the mess...

n go at it as.. trying to breed...
55 Gal/ 2"M (Pink)Convict, 2.7" EBJD, 2"M Firemouth, (2)1.7" Geo Brasil, 3.7"M GT(GoldSaum) 3.5"M Texas, 1 Plecostomus, 10 Asst Cory

125 not set up yet..
SEAN420

Postby Stoic » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:18 am

Albino convicts are interesting. They are not really hybrids, but something you might be intersted in
. A picture of one of mine
Stoic

Postby mattmean » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:11 pm

I just recently joined this forum but I think what you are hoping to get is going to be harder than you think. I could be wrong but if you are looking to X a con with a different genus, it might take many lines of breeding. Flowerhorns took lots of perfecting, cons breed like crazy but lost of other species wont.

I've seen people cross a trimac x jag then cross that jag/tri with a cuban.

I think you might need a bridge fish.

Pershaps: a con is (Archocentrus nigrofasciatus )

So try Archocentrus nigrofasciatus and crossing any of these if you are willing to put in some work.

I'm not pro but these seem to come from similar lines.

Archocentrus centrarchus

Archocentrus sajica

Archocentrus spinnosissimus.

mattmean

Postby MonteSS » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:47 pm

Male HRP x Con

Female HRP x Con

I need to get some newer pics or vids.

....Bill
75g CA- HRP,Thor. Mixteco Gold,Centrarchus,Con,JD

75g SA- Australoheros Oblongum,wild Scalare Angels,Keyholes,Green Sev

46g Nic pair

26g Multi Shelldwellers
MonteSS

Postby dright21 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:12 pm

Those are all beautiful fish. I'm not really into hybrids but now you have me wanting to try and mix a few up to get a nice looking, colorful fish that noone knows what it is lol. Thanks everyone for sharing and to the OP great topic.
dright21

Postby Flippercon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:43 pm

jason_nj has a jd/con that is stunning.
People are designed for success but programmed and conditioned for failure
Flippercon

Postby Doc6DK » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:30 am

MonteSS wrote:Male HRP x Con

Female HRP x Con

I need to get some newer pics or vids.

....Bill

My male "convict"(says the lfs) looks kind of like your hrp/con but the red is tinted yellow and has a blue tint as well. I like your female alot! makes me want to see what my fry grow out to be.

Also the convict/dempsey cross has to be my favorite by far! I wonder if my electric blue jd would be able to pull it off with my blue convict or the regular convicts even!
Doc6DK

Re: Interested in Best Convict Cichlid Hybrids!

Postby 2fewtanks » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Black Convict X Super Green Texas. Too immature yet to get any idea of adult size however the range of colours has been rewarding. Behaviours are also diverse - females are behaving at this stage more like convicts, males more like texas.
2fewtanks

Postby MonteSS » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:21 pm

Here is that male today alon with others in the "boys" tank. Too many babies with girls in there.

The Big old SA Oblongum rules the tank but does not look for a fight, and the Mixteco Gold is second in command (meaning he is a PITA)

Different generations of hybrids. The fish in the above pic is dominant and shows the ragged trailers of an old male (:50 in vid). One is very blue for some reason and has the longer more slender body type as a true HRP (1:05). The original dad pure Rio Danli is in there too but gets beat up a bit (:41). He was an amazing looking fish in his younger days.

....Bill
75g CA- HRP,Thor. Mixteco Gold,Centrarchus,Con,JD

75g SA- Australoheros Oblongum,wild Scalare Angels,Keyholes,Green Sev

46g Nic pair

26g Multi Shelldwellers
MonteSS

Postby Zombie Cichlid » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:11 am

WOW, i just loved the Texas x JD hybrid! Awesome fish! Great colours!
It's a nice option that i'll consider for the future.
Thanks!!!
225 Gallons - Zombie Cichlid
Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, Red Severums
Hybrid Green Terror/Severum, Hybrid Texas/Flowerhorn
Jurupari, Bichirs, Reedfishes, Loach, Raphaels, Plecos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZikJgPTvV4g
Zombie Cichlid

Return to Central American Cichlids