Lake Malawi Species • Blue dolphin growth rate

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Blue dolphin growth rate

Postby aquariam » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:06 am

I know these fish grow slower than a 16th century oil painting dries but just curious what to expect. Currently have a group between 2.5 and 3". How long do I have to full size (7-9")? 3 Years or so?
Ty
aquariam

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:39 am

I have one currently and he has grown from a bit over 1" in mid september to a little over 3 1/2" now. I am not sure if he will keep growing at this rate but mine seems to grow fairly quick. He is a bit temperamental also.

I am not sure as this is the only one I have ever had but mine seems to be growing at the same rate as my peacocks and copadichromis species.
13razorbackfan

Postby aquariam » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:22 am

That's supposed to be impossible.. What are you feeding and what's your pH/gH/kH and any other annoying facts I can pull from you would be great. Temperature... Tank size. Mates. Feed and water change sched... Nitrate level.. Etc. Mine have grown a bit but it doesn't look like they'd be managing a 2"+ per 4 month growth rate. That's 9" by next January. I'd love that but I doubt it :( ..They're already the size yours are so I imagine the growth rate slows...

:-?
aquariam

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:54 pm

Moorii or Metriaclima?
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby noki » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:40 pm

Not sure why C. moorii got the rep of being slow growers, but I've read that online. They may grow slowly when kept in smaller tanks or with more aggressive fish. C. moorii may grow slower in poor situations compared to some others, that may well be true.

In a bigger tank with regular water changes they should grow similar to other medium sized Haps.
noki

Postby aquariam » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:05 pm

DJRansome wrote:Moorii or Metriaclima?
Moori
aquariam

Postby mattawan_cichlid » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:52 pm

Mine grew fast the first few months I had them then they starting slowing down at about 3-4 inches now they are growing pretty slowly
mattawan_cichlid

Postby BigJagLover » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:44 pm

mine have all gone from 1" -4 or 5" in less then a year then the girls almost always seem to stop and the males have all hit 6-8" over the next year or so with the females still being the same relatively small size from the previous year. good size tank, good water, good food is the secret for me.
BigJagLover

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:11 pm

aquariam wrote:That's supposed to be impossible.. What are you feeding and what's your pH/gH/kH and any other annoying facts I can pull from you would be great. Temperature... Tank size. Mates. Feed and water change sched... Nitrate level.. Etc. Mine have grown a bit but it doesn't look like they'd be managing a 2"+ per 4 month growth rate. That's 9" by next January. I'd love that but I doubt it :( ..They're already the size yours are so I imagine the growth rate slows...

:-?
I feed mine in the morning omega one super color flakes, noon I feed NLS sinking pellets, and later in the evening I feed omega one super veggie flakes. My temp is steady 78 with a pH of 8.2 and kH of about 10 last I checked.

I change 70% water every 3-4 days and my nitrates stay below 10 every time I check before water changes.

I have great tap water so I am lucky in being able to do such large and frequent water changes without having to add anything.

I am not saying this would work for you...but it does for me.
13razorbackfan

Postby aquariam » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:34 am

Ya that's some hardcore water change action there. I have garbage tap water I couldn't do 140% per week as easily as that. I do 25% every 2 days personally. I figure that's pretty decent.

This is a male from when I got them a month ago. They've grown significantly, him especially. I'll try to get a new shot today. Please don't mind the tank decor that was just like that for 1 day.
aquariam

Postby 13razorbackfan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:34 pm

Here are some pics of my dolphin moori. The back of the anal/dorsal fins(tips) are turning a very nice shade of red. Just click on the pic twice and it will enlarge so you can get a better look.

Little specs are from my filter and power head.

[/img]
13razorbackfan

Postby aquariam » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:17 pm

thenImage
nowImage

Here's mine. He's a porker. Grown a lot. I appear to have been overfeeding a little now that I compare.. Not sure his color has improved but he is definitely larger.
aquariam

Postby 13razorbackfan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:33 pm

If you want them lighter you could add a lighter substrate or white rocks. I even had a white background on my tank once and it really lightened colors. I thought you had large, smooth looking white rocks maybe limestone?
13razorbackfan

Postby aquariam » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:53 pm

I like dark substrate/colors. I prefer them dark like that. I was just commenting on the 'depth/intensity' of the color rather than the lightness vs darkness

How long is your fish in your picture? My guy is like 3"ish

I wonder why yours has a blaze like that on the dorsal I've never seen that around here.
aquariam

Postby 13razorbackfan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:44 pm

aquariam wrote:I like dark substrate/colors. I prefer them dark like that. I was just commenting on the 'depth/intensity' of the color rather than the lightness vs darkness

How long is your fish in your picture? My guy is like 3"ish

I wonder why yours has a blaze like that on the dorsal I've never seen that around here.
3.5" give or take tiny bit.
13razorbackfan

Next

Return to Lake Malawi Species