South American Cichlids • Lifespan of Severum

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Lifespan of Severum

Postby steve617 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:52 pm

A while back I was looking at some old Fish pics and came across a Green Severum marked Jan 2001. He is still alive but showing his age. In the picture he looks young maybe half grown. I guess he is about 11 1/2 years old. Wonder what the average lifespan is for them. thanks
steve617

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby neutrino » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:28 pm

I often see their lifespan listed as 10 years. In the past I've often made a change before keeping severum full lifespan, i.e. moved, changed to different fish, etc. But I currently have a rotkeil that's 10 years old and still looks good.
neutrino

Postby lp85253 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:06 pm

I bet someones got a 15 year old sev, but 10 yrs is what I see listed for life expectancy
lp85253

Postby aggriffin3 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:44 pm

I am buying a 7" Rotkeil, what's your best bet on age if under excellent care prior?

Thanks

Art
aggriffin3

Postby neutrino » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:45 pm

Max age is hard to say. Minimum age is likely approximately 2.5-3 years-- my opinion. I sometimes see people make the mistake of answering rotkeil growth rate questions based on their experience with other types of severums. I think, 'wow, mine never grew that fast' (and I've had a lot of them), then I see theirs are not rotkeils.

With the same care and feeding, Rotkeils grow somewhat slower than green or gold sevs; at least based on my own experience with each of these types and also what I've typically read from other rotkeil owners. I've spent time looking to find someone who says different (and who has also kept the other types so that they can compare them) but I haven't seen it yet.
neutrino

Return to South American Cichlids