Lake Malawi Species • peacock maturity

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

peacock maturity

Postby HARVESTER51 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:50 pm

I got 3 peacocks 1 male 2 females the male is the largest of the 3 at about 1.5 to 2 in at the most and the male is fully colored up and was wondering if they will breed at this size or not and one of the females is nearly as big as the male while the other female is on the smaller side [/url]
HARVESTER51

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby DJRansome » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:04 pm

Which peacock? What is their size at maturity? Like their maximum size when they are mostly finished growing?
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby HARVESTER51 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:55 pm

I can't remember what they where but the body's blue with a yellow fade on the body and a solid blue face and a white line across the very top of the top fin I would put up a pic but can't figure out how on my phone.
HARVESTER51

Postby mattrox » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:56 am

Usually it isn't long from being coloured up to breeding. Sounds like a flavescent, A. stuartgranti 'usisya' (spelling).
mattrox

Postby HARVESTER51 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:08 am

I looked at the flavescent like you mentioned above and he looks like that but he's not quite the yellow on the body but that might be because he still kinda small
HARVESTER51

Postby DJRansome » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:52 am

So for example, if your peacock were a flavescent, that is a 5.5" peacock at maturity and I'd say 3" would be a size to look for spawning.

If he is a flavescent and not quite fully colored up (not all his yellow) at 2" then that follows.

If he is fully colored at 1.5" then I would worry he was hormoned...how long have you had him?
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby HARVESTER51 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:39 pm

About a week but I'm pretty sure he wasn't hormone because where I got him the lfs is very reputable dealer who is also my friend and I saw the fish parents who are in a show tank at his house and I think he might not be fully colored up cause the flavesent looks the most like him that over seen from looking trough the profiles on this sight
HARVESTER51

Return to Lake Malawi Species