General African Cichlid Discussion • Whoa, my Jewel Cichlids just had babies, help

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: Floridagirl, DJRansome

Whoa, my Jewel Cichlids just had babies, help

Postby grande_C » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:14 pm

Totally unexpected

Just a couple of Jewel Cichlids I have in a small tank in my room for the heck of it, I walk in there today and theres a ton of tinny little fry swimming all over.

I'm trying to research right now what I need to do for them, never had fish have babies before.

I freaked out thinking the little guys were gonna get sucked into the filter so I turned it off, was that wise? Now im concerned the water quality will degrade.

Should I turn it back on?

any help is appreciated
grande_C

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Fogelhund » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:21 pm

Turn the filter back on. If you are concerned it will suck up babies, put a sponge over it.

You can feed them frozen baby brine shrimp, or crushed flakes.
Fogelhund

Postby prov356 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:22 pm

Just put something lke a sponge or filter pad or even a piece of cotton cloth over the intake and turn the filter back on. I wouldn't leave it off.
prov356

Postby grande_C » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:30 pm

ok turned it back on

had things to do today but now the rest of my day is gonna be spent on this, haha

heres a pic

grande_C

Postby mrs.som » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:34 pm

Wow! That is a alot of fry...congrats!
55g Tanganyika Community Tank
...Work in Progress...
-6x Julidochromis marlieri (Burundi)
-8x Synodontis lucipinnis "dwarf petricola"
mrs.som

Postby dielikemoviestars » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:28 pm

Yeah that's a nice sized spawn there. Congratulations.
dielikemoviestars

Postby Elijah » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:21 pm

Congrats grande_C! From what I have read, Jewels are terrible to other fish when they breed, just so you know. O, and I wouldn't turn the filter off. Just like was suggested, put a sponge over it. When my convicts breed, I go to my LFS and buy Fluval pre-filter sponges to put over the intake.
Elijah

Postby grande_C » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:56 pm

well this sucks

Left for a few hours this afternoon, I get back and out of the original cloud of little fry (had to be near 200 of them), there were maybe 30

spent the next 20 minutes watching as the two Jewels just ate them off one by one

Now I dont see any, might be one or two hiding in a crevice somewhere but I dont see them

what gives? Everything I've ever heard about cichlids is that they're great parents, and these two go from fanning water over them one hour, to eating them the next?

dug out an old 20 gallon and everything, was gonna get it ready to transfer the fry when necessary.

the highs and lows of keeping fish :(
grande_C

Postby Kerricko » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:56 am

My jewels spend a lot of their time rounding up the babies and putting them back in the log I have in the tank. So if you have some good hiding areas it could be they didn't eat the fry. But then again they just might have. Jewels are a bit strange like that. Have no fear though with clean water they will probably spawn again in a few weeks. Good luck.
Kerricko

Postby DJRansome » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:02 am

Each cichlid has it's own behavior...mbuna hold the fry in their mouths for 28 days (great parents) but then if kept with the babies 48 hours after spitting them out, they will eat them.

Some of the Tangs are better parents.

I've heard both about Jewels.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby grande_C » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:26 am

well good news, I awoke to find the babies have not been eaten

at least not all of them

must have found a real good hiding spot and all clustered in there, because I didnt see a one of them before I went to bed last night.

hard to tell how many exactly but there are still a lot of them, maybe 100 or more.

Maybe its like you say Kerricko, and the parents are just rounding them up and not eating them, but they're certianly snatching them up with their mouths.

anyway, false alarm, the fry seem to be doing well. haha
grande_C

Postby Fogelhund » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:53 am

Cichlids often blow their first couple of spawns, or eat their babies... it seems after a few, most of these poor parents get it, and end up being wonderful. If they do eat them, no worries they'll spawn again.
Fogelhund

Postby Anthraxx8500 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:13 pm

ya some species will "grab" the babies in their mouths sometimes 5-10 at a time. my festivums did that a lot to keep the babies organized. i wouldnt worry too much tho. once u see a fry.. theres more coming lol
Anthraxx8500

Postby bluebirdnanny » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:25 pm

Wow!!! Congrats! That IS a lot.
bluebirdnanny

Postby Catfish Dan » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:47 pm

That's a LOT of babies! :thumb:
Catfish Dan

Next

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion