Aquarium Setup • Cichlids and Schooling Fish

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

Cichlids and Schooling Fish

Postby pikklez » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:16 pm

I just got a 60 gallon tank, and I am planning on turning it into a mostly Mbuna cichlid tank. Here is my proposed setup:

2/3 Electric Yellow Labidochromus
2/3 Peacock Cichlids
2/3 Electric Blue Labidochromus (or another similar colored Malawi cichlid)

Are there any types of schooling fish that would work well with these fish? I was thinking of adding some Giant Danios and Tiger Barbs. Thanks in advance

*Edit* I'm also open to putting a couple Plecos or larger tetras (not sure what kinds though) if those would work.
pikklez

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby PfunMo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:37 pm

Before we start, I might check what we each are speaking of when you say "electric blue lab". I'm not familiar with that name. Is it possible you might mean SCIAENOCHROMIS FRYERI (ELECTRIC BLUE HAP)? They are sometimes still called hap Ahli. I have kept these and yellow labs together with black skirt tetras and some other fish. It seemed to work fine for me. The yellow labs really used the rocks and the ahli less so. The tetras never looked at the rocks much at all. It made a reasonable busy tank with the tetras out and about all the time, the ahli mostly out but ducking for the rocks for cover and the labs almost always near or under the rocks. No aggression between groups as each seemed only interested in their group with the tetras kind of blundering around through everybody's business!
I find some reference that the labs and ahli require different setups but i don't find that true for me. I found lots of rock piles with some open water areas of sand to be nice for these.
PfunMo

Postby pikklez » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:42 pm

Yea I think it's the electric blue hap that I meant haha. Well that's cool ^_^; I plan on having a good amount of Texas holy rock in the tank so hopefully they appreciate it!
pikklez

Postby Chunkanese » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:26 am

Your peacocks would eat any fish that fits in it's mouth. That's what mine did! I would stick eith cichlids however syno cats are very social and kinda school.
Chunkanese

Postby PfunMo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:37 am

My thinking with the black skirt tetras is that they do not fit into most mouths as well as being pretty quick and careful. My objection to tiger barbs is that they are pretty prone to fin nipping and bother other fish quite often. I might start with only one peacock as they will tend to be the bigger fish and as such might be a problem when mating, etc. They are a really nice fish for many tanks. The males are more colorful and more popular with many.
PfunMo

Return to Aquarium Setup