Central American Cichlids • cichlids breathing heavy

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

cichlids breathing heavy

Postby DudeDelMar » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:29 pm

Ok I have turned up my heat for a week to just take care of dieseaes before they happen and to get my peacocks and bumblee bees fired up.....
Now a cich or two are breathing out of my air bubbler
I have them in a 60 gallon a 80g air bubbler and a 40 gallon air bubbler and the bigger cichlids seem not to be eating...................
Ides
DudeDelMar

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Chubbs the Jellybean » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:31 pm

You have any filters?
55g (soon 75) - 1 Oscar (5"), 1 spotted raphael, 10 Tiger barbs, 1 Orange Seam Pleco (L106)
20L Planted - 1 HRP "Rio Danli", 8 pristella tetras, 2 unsexed HRP
15g - 5 unsexed Cutteri "Rio Jutiapa"
Chubbs the Jellybean

Postby duds » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:41 am

Is the heat still up? How high was/is it? I seem to remember something about high heat allowing less oxygen in the water, so they could be labouring to breathe.
My other thought is high nitrates. What are your water parameters? I'm assuming the tank is cycled?
What disease were you treating for? Did you use meds or just the heat?
duds

Postby fishghost » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:38 am

If the diseases have been taken care of lower your heaters and do a water change. Fresh water means should up the oxygen in the tank.
fishghost

Postby hollyfish2000 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:42 am

Why would you turn up the heat "to take care of diseases before they happen?" I've never seen anyone recommending heat as a precaution against ick. (And I have no idea if heat is an acceptable response to other diseases that might occur int his population, such as bloat.)

And what does it mean you want to get your fish "fired up"? Fish have a desired temperature range, putting them out of the range could impair their immune system and make them more vulnerable to disease.

In any event, I'd test the water, make sure your parameters are correct, readjust the temperature slowly to the target temp that is most comfortable for your fish and keep an eye on them. If they are still breathing heavily, dropping the water level to allow more splash from your filter can also help.
hollyfish2000

Postby biglove » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:54 am

And if you want to prevent diseases, look into a UV sterilizer.
biglove

Postby DudeDelMar » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:17 am

Thank you for all your comments..
I am running a 110 gallon filter on the tank.
When I introduce new fish to my tank I turn it up as well as too get the fish conditioned if you know what I mean...
all my levels are on par for water readings...
I will look into the uv

On another note have you ever heard of adding hydrogen peroxide* to a tank
Thanks again every body :dancing:
DudeDelMar

Postby DudeDelMar » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:20 am

sorry 29degress is the temp and I know about rise and time variences on temp...

CtJ... you sooooo craaazzzyyyy!!!

Be pretty stupid tp have no filter but how would you know where the heck im at ............LOL
DudeDelMar

Postby DudeDelMar » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:24 am

I cut my feedings in half when I raise the temp to avoid that dirty bloat......

Thanks again.
Ps I turned my heat down after the post and every body is hunky dori... I got so happt I went out and bought then a new 90 gallon with a XP4 woo hoo goodtimes
Now thats a filter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dancing: :fish: :dancing: :fish:
DudeDelMar

Postby mlancaster » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:43 pm

Nice, glad to here all is well and they have a larger home.

Thanks,
matt
mlancaster

Postby homerl » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:59 pm

In the last two years I have added power heads to each of my tanks, and what a difference the added air gives to the color and energy of the fish.
The fish are really healthy.
Maybe think about adding one?Just saying.GL.
homerl

Postby DudeDelMar » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:35 am

Power headis good................... I mean power heads.....GTS>>>>>>>>>
Yes all is good I must admit I posted this comment knowing full well what was going on I have raised fish for over 30yrs I have a degree in frisheries just wanted to see WTF ppl are thinking...

Things today are crazy..
Back in the day all you would have to do is add heat fresh water and salt!!!!!!!!!!!! wait thats all you still need to do!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
May your bubbles be pure and your water fresh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I will post my new set ups this weekend under dudesands on youtube
Happy Easter Every body!!!

I guess my gig is up............ I post questions on things allot of ppl are asking online.. well because they wont post them thenselfs.............................

May all inquires be Ick free.................. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
DudeDelMar

Postby hollyfish2000 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:37 pm

Sorry, still don't know why you'd raise the temperature when introducing new fish . . . Conditioned for what?
hollyfish2000

Postby DudeDelMar » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:34 am

I raise the temp so if the new fish have lets say ick or some other form of sickness I can nip it in the butt...
to condition fish is to get them to spawn and most will do so when the temp raises gets their mojo working...........

Fresh water heat and salt............................ Problems solved!

Keep your tank organic do water changes more often than not (if daily not more than 20 %..Letting water sit for 15mins will de-ionize it enough (use prime...I do not work for them), make sure the water added is a little warmer that yer tank and if you can (with the cichlids) dont get yer water from a water softener line.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
DudeDelMar

Postby hollyfish2000 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:34 pm

I nip problems in the "butt" (That's hiliarous!) :P with a QT tank.
hollyfish2000

Next

Return to Central American Cichlids