South American Cichlids • Dwarf cichlid photos.

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Dwarf cichlid photos.

Postby DeadFishFloating » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:33 am

Ok guys'n'gals,

Just a couple of photos of a couple of my tanks and fish.

Apsitogramma masken.
Tank

Male

Female

Apistogramma sp. "Galaxy". (Unidentified apisto from the Cruzi subcomplex)
Tank

Male

Female
Dwarf Cichlids. Big personalities in small packages.
DeadFishFloating

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby DeadFishFloating » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:41 am

And a preview of a recent purchase. Nannacara anomala. I bought a a pair this week, but they are still settling in to their new tank, so do not have a tank shot, etc yet. But I do have a photo of them at the LFS.

DeadFishFloating

Postby edburress » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:37 pm

Great looking fish Peter! Any luck breeding them?
edburress

Postby DeadFishFloating » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:48 am

Hi Ed,

I have fry growing out from the two apsito species, as well as cacatuoide orange flame fry, and agassizii fry. I've just picked up the anomala, so no breeding yet. I'm also picking up some other stuff this week, but they're a surprise for a few weeks/months down the track.
DeadFishFloating

Postby Isis24 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:13 am

Thank you for posting these! I love it! Those Nannacara are gorgeous. Wait a minute....is that a loach in there? Oh... never mind, that was the LFS. I knew that couldn't be possible :wink:

Call me ignorant but they remind me of Laetacara dorsigera. Am I hallucinating the pink belly?

BTW, do you still have any Laetacara?
Isis24

Postby ebjdftw » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:30 pm

do you have any pictures of you orange flame? I'd love to see those! I picked up some and dwarf cichlids are rapidly growing on me
ebjdftw

Postby Bruce Haynes » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:23 pm

I've been looking for female nannacara anomola everywhere...lucky duck! :drooling:
Bruce Haynes

Postby Chromedome52 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:15 pm

That's not Nannacara anomala, it's aureocephalus. Much less common and more interesting. The two are very close in color, some slight differences in pattern. Hard to explain, but I know it when I see it.
Whenever something seems too good to be true I find it's best to shoot it, just in case. - Fiona Glenanne on Burn Notice
Chromedome52

Postby Kerricko » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:15 pm

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. Just ventured into the dwarf cichlids and am interested in them. Any recommendations for species to look into?
Kerricko

Postby DeadFishFloating » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:30 pm

ebjdftw wrote:do you have any pictures of you orange flame? I'd love to see those! I picked up some and dwarf cichlids are rapidly growing on me

DeadFishFloating

Postby DeadFishFloating » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:35 pm

Isis24 wrote:Thank you for posting these! I love it! Those Nannacara are gorgeous. Wait a minute....is that a loach in there? Oh... never mind, that was the LFS. I knew that couldn't be possible :wink:

Call me ignorant but they remind me of Laetacara dorsigera. Am I hallucinating the pink belly?

BTW, do you still have any Laetacara?

Hahaha yes, you are hallucinating a pink belly. They're not that similar to Laetacara, but I am new to Nannacara. No, I don't have any laetacara at the moment. However I have my LFS on the look out for some L. dorsigera "Argentina".
DeadFishFloating

Postby DeadFishFloating » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:51 pm

Kerricko wrote:Nice pics, thanks for sharing. Just ventured into the dwarf cichlids and am interested in them. Any recommendations for species to look into?

I believe Laetacara are great beginner dwarf cichlids. When it comes to apistogramma, line bred Cacatuoides are a good beginner, and I also believe apistos from the Regani complex, especially those in the Eunotus and Cruzi sub-complexes are good beginner apistos.

Other good beginner dwarf cichlids come from West Africa, such as red forest jewels, thomasii and fish from the Pelvicachromis genus.

One important thing to note. Your water is important. It must be low PH with low dissolved mineral content. Many dwarf cichlid species do not do well in moderate to hard alkaline water.

Rain water that has been filtered through activated carbon is very good for helping to drop the PH of tap water. Ketapang leaves and/or Canadian sphagnum moss is used to acidify the water.
DeadFishFloating

Postby DeadFishFloating » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:04 am

Ok, here's a sneak peak at this weeks pickup. I know they are Westies and not SA's, but they are still very nice.

Pelvicachromis taeniatus "dehane".

DeadFishFloating

Postby Bruce Haynes » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:19 am

Beautiful! Hey DeadFisfFloating. When you have fry from the Nannacara Anomala give me a shout I need females. I have a tank of males and need a bunch of females. The westies are beautiful...would love to have some of those. When you have fry give me a shout. I LOVE dwarf cichlids!
Bruce Haynes

Postby Fevz » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:53 am

Gorgeous dwarf cichlids!
DeadFishFloating
, since you are a dwarf cichlid expert. Is it possible to have a pair of any dwarf cichlids in a 9 gal. tank?
Fevz

Next

Return to South American Cichlids