Central American Cichlids • Blue Dempsey tank mates??

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Blue Dempsey tank mates??

Postby chiefs03 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:49 pm

Just wondering if anyone has experience housing Blue Dempseys with smaller cichlids. Possibly even some of the dwarfs getting only 3 to 4 inches. The Blue I had before was VERY timid and I want him to be the center piece of the tank. I have a 75g with two Emperor 400 Power Filters. I just moved so the only thing in the tank is two goldfish my daughter wanted. I will move them out when I get my fish. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks
chiefs03

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby ebjdftw » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:49 pm

I think you could possibly try it but this depends on a whole lot of variables. If at any point the dempsey is big enough to fit the smaller cichlids in it's mouth, it most likely will eat them. Blue dempseys seem to grow slower, so you might have some luck there. And then it really depends on the personality of the dempsey. Male or female makes a big difference, and then there still is the possibility the dempsey might want the whole tnak for itself. I would say, proceed with caution.
ebjdftw

Postby oldcatfish » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:09 am

I've never kept electric blue JD's before...but my first inclination for a peaceful CA cichlid tankmate would be Rainbow cichlids. The JD should be fine with them.
oldcatfish

Postby diggler81 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:17 pm

I have mine in with a regular JD and a Green Terror and have not seen any problems yet
diggler81

Electric Blue Jack Dempsey

Postby elliott78 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:33 am

I just purchased five very young EBJDs the other day and currently have them in my 90 gallon with 2 angels, 5 discus, 4 balas, 11 head & tail lights, 5 glass cats, 6 corys and 10+ khulis. Everything is going great so far! I know in the future of this setup I am going to experience compatibility issues however I plan to establish another tank soon. I get blasted for my setup all the time and that's fine however of seen some much stranger than mine that have worked out just fine long term, (i.e. discus w/ sting rays). Best of luck to you!
elliott78

Postby mleibowi » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:04 pm

I have 6" gorgeous EBD that I introduced to a 46 gal bow when it was around 1.5", and it was raised with fully grown congo tetras. They seem to get along fine. Giant danios would probably also work as dithers.
mleibowi

Postby elliott78 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:04 pm

mleibowi, I just got a 40 gallon setup. I currently have 5 juvenile EBJDs in a 90 gallon and am transferring them over to the 40 after cycle completion. Any tips other than recommended tank mates?
elliott78

Postby mleibowi » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:46 pm

I have a large piece of drift wood (bought from LFS) which is hollowed out so the EBJ retreats there when spooked. Interestingly, my juvie EBJ was not skiddish at all, but as he grew, he became more easily spooked. I think having dithers has helped him with that. Also, EBJ are very susceptible to parasites and infection when juvies. I fed my juvie EBJ frozen blood worms and brine shrimp, but it was risky. My EBJ didn't get any parasites. Perhaps NLS pellets would have been a safer bet. At this point, my fish is big enough where I don't worry about parasites and feed him just about anything, including small bugs that find there way inside my place... lol. I have a planted tank with an Eco-complete substrate. I supplement with liq CO2 and iron. Perhaps, having a more natural habitat has helped??? When I bought the fish, I spent quite a lot of time observing the EBJs behavoir and coloration. I tried to select the healthiest, prettiest looking fish. Overall, I'm extremely happy with my EBJ and I'm planning on finding him a mate. I had a gorgeous green severum a while back, but the EBJ is by far the prettiest fish I ever kept. If you have any other questions, don't hesisate to ask.
mleibowi

Postby mlancaster » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:14 pm

Hi mleibowi,

Could you post a pic please?

Thanks,
Matt
mlancaster

tankmates

Postby rickscics » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:51 pm

I like keeping mine in a species tank like this video shows. They will get along with most any docile fish. I keep some with my Madagascar Paratilapia pollini small spot east coast. I have others in various community tanks and have no problem with them .I have some with various Africans, Central American and south American varieties.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz4es3wpmhI
rickscics

Postby mleibowi » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:45 pm

Pics of my EBJD. Apologies for the algae on the glass.

mleibowi

Postby diggler81 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:31 pm

mleibowi
how old is ur ebjd?
diggler81

Postby mleibowi » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:56 pm

hes probably 6 months old
mleibowi

Return to Central American Cichlids