Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • Cichlid Stones!

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: CjCichlid, notho2000

Cichlid Stones!

Postby omfgitsdenz » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:45 am

Does anyone own cichlid stones? Im thinking of purchasing the 15-pack for $50+, but before i go ahead and do so i wanna know if its recommended? Are cichlids usually happy with them? Are the holes big enough to fit inside for most medium to large cichlids? Do they really mate in them and etc.?
omfgitsdenz

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby DJRansome » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:03 am

Mbuna will not mate inside them because they need a fairly large flat surface (the wall of the tank will suffice) to make their circles. I prefer the natural-looking, free alternative (rocks) but several fishkeepers here use them and like them.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby koslonc » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:30 am

I have some experience using these stones. To answer your questions...

Are they happy in them? Absolutely - they make great hiding spaces.
Will they breed in them? No - not my Mbuna anyway.
Are they big enough for large Cichlids? Yes, the large stones are easily big enough for 6" cichlids

In my opinion, they can be made to look natural if:
1) you have enough of them to stack
2) you arrange them so that the rock openings not facing the front of the tank
3) you have algae growing on them

The biggest downside to these stones is that tank waste/debris tends to find its way into the rock openings and accumulate there, requiring them to be emptied from time to time.

Here is a pic with a stack of Cichlid Stones

Hope this helps.
koslonc

Postby Chubbs the Jellybean » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:27 pm

From my experience, the medium and large ones are used quite a bit, but the small ones are only really useful for fry to hide in.

+1 to the comment about them not looking natural unless the holes face away, I have a few stacks that I used for electric yellows, but they preferred PVC pipe sections any day over the stones, oddly enough.
Chubbs the Jellybean

Postby omfgitsdenz » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:03 pm

Thanks guys for answering my questions!
omfgitsdenz

Postby PfunMo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:46 pm

I would think $50 would get you quite a large stack of real rocks that would work as well. Try landscaping supplies.
PfunMo

Postby Dj823cichild » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:21 pm

:thumb: I like them
Dj823cichild

Postby SeanPrice » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:26 am

I would opt to go to a landscape company, I purchased roughly 60-70lbs or dif types of rock for a mere $15.

Alot of these types of rocks and flat rocks will run you around .25 cents on average
SeanPrice

Postby newcichlidiot » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:05 pm

I use the cichlid stone and do like them, as do the fish. They will look more natural over time. One complaint I had heard was the water in the stone does not circulate well. To correct this I have drilled some half inch holes in a couple sides on each stone. The drill worked fairly well. The out side is a good circle where as on the inside it sort of chipped off. A good rinse and they were back in the tank. Also, they sometimes come in handy when trying to catch some fish as you just pick up the stone. Altho' not so good with holes in them, but you plug that with your finger. All in all, me and my fish like them. And they don't take up any tank space.
newcichlidiot

Postby iLuvAngels » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:21 pm

I just ordered a few cichlid stones the other day and didn't think to check here before I did so I am glad that most of the replies about them were positive :thumb:
iLuvAngels

Postby Aura » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:36 pm

My transcriptus and leleupi use the small stones with only one opening to spawn in. I only use a few and paint them to match the rocks in the tank.

Aura

Postby iLuvAngels » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:12 pm

That looks really nice Aura. I didn't think you could use paint on anything inside of a tank. What kind of paint do you use which doesn't harm or kill the fish?
iLuvAngels

Postby Aura » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:09 pm

I used a spray paint that's made for plastic -- Krylon Fusion. I had some left over from painting canister intake tubes and sprayed some of the cichlid stones that were going into a tank with dark gray rocks just to see if it would work. It held up well, so I got that reddish brown color to match rock in another tank.
Aura

Postby cichbillyia » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:19 pm

i just bought the 15pack a few weeks ago ... my cichlids love em ... 15 stones add up pretty fast in a 55gal tank ... but they work to keep the little ones outta site sometimes
110gal 6ft 35-40 malwais. Jewels convicts white top haras blue ahlis lab albino zebra pleco ans sae . 55gal with a jaguar ciclid. and a 25gal hex with OB peacocks 3 ice blue ahilis clown loaches red zebra convicts white top hara
cichbillyia

Postby iLuvAngels » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:20 pm

I received my stones a couple of days ago. I only needed a few of them and am pleased with how they look in my tank. :)
iLuvAngels

Next

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)