Lake Malawi Species • Electric Blue Johanni

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Electric Blue Johanni

Postby coppola » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:36 pm

When I started my new tank, I purchased an electric blue johanni when it was around 1.5 inches and had an amazing blue color with black stripes. i was recently at the pet store and wanted to get another one the same size but the ones they had were not blue with black stripes but almost a white with black stripes. the guy said it is young and will get its colors when it gets bigger. well, its gotten bigger and it is still the same color.

Does anyone know if this would be a female or not getting its color because there is already a dominant male in the tank?
coppola

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby christopher1325 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:09 pm

Are these your fish??
christopher1325

Postby noki » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:41 pm

The quality and purity vary widely. IMO if they are not that attractive when small, they may not get more attractive. They should have color at 1".

M. cyaneorhabdos is the pure species, and when small they are an attractive black and blue. Some may lose some attractiveness when mature, depending on which sex.

If they don't great, unless stressed from travel, then don't buy. They are not fish that mature into color like normal dimorphic cichlids.
noki

Postby Kanorin » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:59 am

noki wrote:The quality and purity vary widely. IMO if they are not that attractive when small, they may not get more attractive. They should have color at 1".

M. cyaneorhabdos is the pure species, and when small they are an attractive black and blue. Some may lose some attractiveness when mature, depending on which sex.

If they don't great, unless stressed from travel, then don't buy. They are not fish that mature into color like normal dimorphic cichlids.

I agree. I've bred them and my experience is that they reach full color within about a month of being born. Here is a picture of fry that are just under an inch in length. If they are not blue and black horizontal striped at 1 inch, they are not pure M. Cyaneorhabdos.
125G: All male
Haps: Steveni taiwan, pheno, spilo. tanzania, lithobates, cop. trewavasae, polystigma
Peacocks: Stuartgranti x3 (Cobue, Usisya, & Mdoka), baenschi, ruby red, bi-color,
+ Y. Lab & S. Multi
Kanorin

Postby coppola » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:50 pm

[/img]

coppola

Postby noki » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:59 pm

coppola wrote:[/img]

Ghost Johanni?
noki

Postby coppola » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:44 pm

Im still trying to figure out how to upload pics to this forum.
coppola

Postby DJRansome » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:56 am

Post your pic on a free site like photobucket. Copy the img link from photobucket into the Cichlid-forum post. "Preview" before you "Submit".
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby coppola » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:50 pm

Thanks for the help. Here are the two pics. These fish are the same size but like i said eary...the guy from the LFS said he would get his color when he gets bigger.

http://s866.photobucket.com/albums/ab22 ... CN0117.jpg

http://s866.photobucket.com/albums/ab22 ... CN0184.jpg
coppola

Postby Fogelhund » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:59 pm

Second fish is a Melanochormis johanni, or johanni cross, not a Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (electric blue johanni)

The first fish does appear to be a Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos.
Fogelhund

Postby coppola » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:11 pm

well, that is dissppointing. definately choosing another LFS in the future.
coppola

Postby Kanorin » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:38 pm

Fogelhund wrote:Second fish is a Melanochormis johanni, or johanni cross, not a Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (electric blue johanni)

The first fish does appear to be a Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos.

I agree with these ID's
125G: All male
Haps: Steveni taiwan, pheno, spilo. tanzania, lithobates, cop. trewavasae, polystigma
Peacocks: Stuartgranti x3 (Cobue, Usisya, & Mdoka), baenschi, ruby red, bi-color,
+ Y. Lab & S. Multi
Kanorin

Return to Lake Malawi Species