Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Green Terror Pictures

9K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  benny71 
#1 ·
#2 ·
looks amazing!!!!! Just got myself a GT, I love him to death, will prolly end up being the only fish in my 55, maybe with a rainbow shark >.> if they will be ok together. Gotta see.

Did you use a high quality camera? They look spectacular. His facial markings are superb, did they always come in like that or did he get more as he matured?

#6 ·
umm.. I hope your JD and GT will be okay. My JD and GT live together since they were about 2 inches in length. One day when the JD was about 7 inches he started being all aggressive and beat up the smaller 5 inches (at the time) GT (GT takes longer to grow). I had to separate the tank with a separator. I'm waiting for my Oscar to grow a bit more and then move the GT in with him. Hope everything work out or else one fish will have to go to the LFS :(

#7 ·
I hope they will to... i will never bring my fish to a local fish store.... would rather somehow try to keep them or give them to someone who really would take care of them. I actually put in a 2 inch female with my full grown male jack and she is now about 7 inches.... he didn't attack her which i was surprised..... we will see once they get bigger... but they are going to be going into either a 135 gallon tank or a 210 gallon tank..... not sure yet.........
fingers crossed for down the road....
cheers and thanks for the heads up......

#8 ·
Awesome!

Green Terrors are some of the prettiest fresh water fish, IMO.

I have a 3" GT in a tank with my flametail peacocks and yellow labs because I was told he would be fine with them...I've since learned(read) differently, so I'll have to find a new home for him before he matures. :?

(Yes, I'm a newb to fish and should have researched before I just took a LFS owner's word for it :roll: )

#9 ·
benny71, though it's certainly not ideal, the GT might be ok long term with your other fish, if it's a large tank that's decorated properly.

Decorate the tank with a large overhanging tree root/driftwood on one side, with a rockpile (with a lot of caves) on the other. Leave a mostly open space in between. The GT normally will claim the driftwood, and the Africans will normally claim the rocky area. That setup usually even works with more aggressive CA cichlids and Africans.

#12 ·
oldcatfish said:
benny71, though it's certainly not ideal, the GT might be ok long term with your other fish, if it's a large tank that's decorated properly.

Decorate the tank with a large overhanging tree root/driftwood on one side, with a rockpile (with a lot of caves) on the other. Leave a mostly open space in between. The GT normally will claim the driftwood, and the Africans will normally claim the rocky area. That setup usually even works with more aggressive CA cichlids and Africans.
Thanks for the tip(s)!

I'm not sure it will work, because it's only a 55g, but if you think I could put the rock on one side and some driftwood on the other and they could live peacefully, I'll definitely give it a shot.

Right now I have 12 Flametail Peacocks(I will be thinning them down as I figure out who's male and female) and 4 yellow labs in there with the green terror...In a 55g, is there any way that could work?

Also, if it would, what shape of driftwood would work best?

Thanks!

#14 ·
It might work in the 55g if the GT is female. A male GT will need a bit more room.

The driftwood that works best is something that will simulate a tree root or branch, hanging down into the water at an angle. I place them from the back corner facing downard toward the front. Then leave about a 18 inches of open space. On the other 18 inches or so of the tank, make a large rockpile with about 2 caves per African cichlid.

#15 ·
oldcatfish said:
It might work in the 55g if the GT is female. A male GT will need a bit more room.

The driftwood that works best is something that will simulate a tree root or branch, hanging down into the water at an angle. I place them from the back corner facing downard toward the front. Then leave about a 18 inches of open space. On the other 18 inches or so of the tank, make a large rockpile with about 2 caves per African cichlid.
Thanks!

Can you tell me how big/old a GT needs to be before you can tell the sex? Mine is about 3 inches.

Edit: Here is a 2 or so week old picture...He/she has grown some since then.

#16 ·
I promise I'll get some more Pictures up for you guys soon. I'll test out my other lens this time. Umm I'll probably take the pictures tonight and get it up here by tomorrow night. Hang on guys..

Benny, Try to get a piece of driftwood that is not sharp. You never know when your fish will run into it.

#17 ·

Benny, Try to get a piece of driftwood that is not sharp. You never know when your fish will run into it.
OK, I stopped by Petsmart tonight to look at some brighter lighting for my tank and I came across this:

I know it's mass produced, unoriginal and it doesn't look that great in the picture, but it actually looks really good in person...

It is about 18 inches tall and 6 inches in diameter(at the bottom)...When I saw it, I immediately thought about this thread.

Would something like this work? If not, can one of you post an example that would work better?

Thanks a lot...I'd really like to keep this fish in this tank, but if push comes to shove I'll turn the 55g I'm getting on Saturday into his/her tank.

#19 ·
oldcatfish said:
Benny71, that should work very well. And it will look just fine after it's in the tank for awhile.
Thanks OCF, I'll probably go pick one up and rearrange my tank tonight. :thumb:

If this doesn't work, I'll probably get another GT(of the opposite sex once I can determine this one's) and turn the tank I'm getting Saturday into a GT tank.

#22 ·
Here is the tank now with the new decoration for the GT.

Like I said, I hate the rocks now, but they will have to suffice until I change out the gravel for sand...Also, I added a black background, but I haven't flattened it out yet.

I'll be switching out the fake plants with real ones that look like the tall one in the back left corner when I do the substrate change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.