Aquarium Setup • Easiest Cichlid to breed

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

Easiest Cichlid to breed

Postby Barywhy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:47 am

I want to breed Cichlids but been unsuccessful over years for one reason or another.

Can anyone advise on what is the easiest Cichild to breed. It is a new tank setup and is a large 4 x 2 x 2 ft tank with a lot of rocks in it with many hiding places.

Thanks In Advance
Barywhy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby cjacob316 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:56 am

cichlids like brichardi from tanganyika, and convicts from central america breed like rabbits

i had some sp. 44's that bread constantly with only one female, so if you had 3-4 females you'd have a lot of fry

just make sure with whatever species you get, you have plenty of females, that might have been why you had difficulty getting fish to breed before
see my tanks for details
cjacob316

Postby Barywhy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:57 am

Thanks,

I like the Lake Malawi Mbuna cichlids, due to the colours ranges.

Would you say these are harder to breed or easier than the above mentioned.

BaryWhy
Barywhy

Postby gmaschke » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:25 pm

I think Mbuna are easy. The 1st ones I bred were Labidochromis yellow fin mbamba. They breed like rabbits. Also the more common yellow labs. Start with something a bit less aggressive as some mbuna are cold blooded killers if you don't have the right conditions. The peacocks breed easily as well but take a bit long. The Mbamba literally bred as fry.
gmaschke

Postby 748johnd » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:17 pm

I'd like to know how to stop them from breeding other than having an all male tank.
748johnd

Postby wpk22 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:50 pm

748johnd wrote:I'd like to know how to stop them from breeding other than having an all male tank.

you could start your own thread if you wanted....

but I would say that an easy solution is to get some catfish to eat the eggs......you cant really stop a pair from breeding IME. Maybe there is some way but I really doubt it.

back to the main thread I would say convicts are really easy to breed.
55 Gallon- Salvini
75 Gallon- Two 5 inch JDs, Pictus cat fish, Rainbow Shark
wpk22

Postby DGT » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:02 pm

I'm surprised that no one inquired about the OP's water conditions. It could be a major contributor to his problem!
DGT

Postby wpk22 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:04 pm

DGT wrote:I'm surprised that no one inquired about the OP's water conditions. It could be a major contributor to his problem!

Ah yes I was just answering on a basic level.....I didnt read the question fully :oops:

let me ask the op, what type of fish were you unsuccessful with? and what was your stocking list and approach to getting your fish to breed?
55 Gallon- Salvini
75 Gallon- Two 5 inch JDs, Pictus cat fish, Rainbow Shark
wpk22

Postby cjacob316 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:34 pm

my assumption was that he tried to do it as pairs, which would cause problems

also i have gone the water quality route before, using breeding cichlids to prove that someone's water quality must be fine, and it was quickly shot down because they stated (including a mod) that they have had cichlids breed in very poor conditions

while it probably could cause an issue, it may not be an end all to breeding

another question is, do you have trouble getting fish to mate, or do you have issues getting the fry to survive?

as docile as yellow labs are, since it's harder to tell males from females, i'd offer up the solution of sticking to dimorphic species that aren't super aggressive like cynos, if you get at least 4 females you should be good to go, saulosi would be another solution, also dems tend to breed like crazy, but they are really tough to keep compared to others
see my tanks for details
cjacob316

Postby Barywhy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:58 pm

OMG are you telling me that catfish will eat the babies etc? If so then I must confess that I used to keep catfish in the same tank :(

I think the fish used to mate as they used to do that shimmering fin on quite a few occaisions and sometimes did see fry, although they didnt last long.

Water conditions were OK, cannot remember results but did match against the chart OK as well as agaisnt a chart or website that I checked it against for cichlids, as I understand that cichlids like the water slightly harder, hence putting rocks in there. I had very little or no plants in the tank.

When it came to types, I just used to go in the shop and say I will have 2 females and 1 male of those lake malawi cichlids please.

I think I have answered all questions, thanks for advise. Can I also ask that you include the full names, so I can look them up online and in my books as I am not familiar with the short naming convention.

P.S. I also had a cray fish.
Barywhy

Postby cjacob316 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:55 pm

well your biggest issue is leaving the fry in the tank with adult fish and catfish, because they will all eat the fry, you HAVE to use a separate fry tank if you really want to be successful in raising fry, you aren't having breeding issues, you're having raising issues, it's not the fish's fault
see my tanks for details
cjacob316

Postby cjacob316 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:57 pm

really? 3 females and one male of those lake malawi cichlids?

personally i'd suggest doing a lot of research on the different species and try to make sure you have compatible fish as well as no cross breeding going on before you breed any fish
see my tanks for details
cjacob316

Postby Barywhy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:07 pm

I thought if they have sufficient hiding places then they would be OK in the same tank.

I hear what you are saying about research, which is what I am starting off on here. Once I know which fish to go for, then I can focus on becomming a basic SME on these and then using this as a baseline against other fish.
Barywhy

Postby ejohnson » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:03 am

convicts, put a pot in and they will lay there eggs all over the inside of it. They breed heaps trust me, easy to keep aswell.
ejohnson

Postby cjacob316 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:49 am

find something you like and we'll help you build off of that

there is a profile section here that has pictures and descriptions of a lot of malawi cichlids, as well as other types, browse through and find a species or two you like
see my tanks for details
cjacob316

Next

Return to Aquarium Setup