DIY - Projects & Ideas • G.E. Silicone 1

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Re: constructing caves

Postby Chunkanese » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:18 pm

annem wrote:FTLOSM
Hi, I have been reading all these old posts about silicone, did you ever find something that works and will hold up when cleaning and rearranging the tank?
Hope you're still out there.
Anne

im using GE 1 silicone window and gutter. It seems pretty strong for me, and im building a cave background using vinyl gutters.
Chunkanese

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

adhering rocks w/silicone

Postby annem » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:17 pm

ok, so that would be something you would use w/ a caulking gun? and would you need cure time?
Thanks, Anne
annem

Re: adhering rocks w/silicone

Postby supadupamikey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:20 pm

annem wrote:ok, so that would be something you would use w/ a caulking gun? and would you need cure time?
Thanks, Anne

The larger size containers need to be used with a caulking gun, but the smaller tubes are like what toothpaste comes in. they're both around $4-5 at HD/Lowes, but you're getting like 11oz vs 4oz. The smaller tubes can be resealed (easier), but I dont know how long it'll keep.
supadupamikey

Postby m1ke715m » Wed May 11, 2011 10:01 am

i used ge silicone I kitchen bath plumbing and it killed a bunch of my fish... the guy who made me my 3D backgrounds says he has used it and this didnt happen... apparently ge is putting moldicide in all their silicone products and the west coast has the older tubes without the moldicide and the east coast has it with the moldicides... i however found at home depot a ge silicone that its only name is ge 100% silicone.. its not in the paint/silicone aisle its in the aisle where the plexiglass and acrylic sheets are and it looks like this..

no matter what anyone says that they've used ge silicone I or II I've used both and they both have killed my fish... so this is the no argument alternative... oh and ps does anyone have any suggestions on a good way to get all the silicone residue off the back of the tank? I've scraped as much of it off with a razor as i can but theres a bunch of smudges still on the tank idk if this will kill my fish or what i could use to get it off thats safe to use on the inside of a tank.. any suggestions?
m1ke715m

Postby GTZ » Wed May 11, 2011 5:32 pm

m1ke715m wrote:...apparently ge is putting moldicide in all their silicone products and the west coast has the older tubes without the moldicide and the east coast has it with the moldicides...

Proof or rumor?
75G L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.) | Ps. demasoni | Met. greshakei
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby m1ke715m » Wed May 11, 2011 11:05 pm

the guy that i met on here that made 4 of my backgrounds that does this for a living.. he makes backgrounds and installs them in peoples tanks called ge and they told him they are putting moldicide in all of their products wether it says it or not. they jus havent phased out all their old stock without it.. I've used the ge silicone II windows and doors and the ge silicone I kitchen bath plumbing and he said he's used the same one i just used and it def killed my fish. if you look anyone thats said they've used any of these products without harm is from the west coast... anyone that says that theyve used the products and the fish died is from the east coast. all i know is the one i just posted doesnt kill anything and isnt even meant for caulking windows, doors, drains, plumbing nothing.. its just 100% silicone nothing else... and it was only $6 a tube.. if you'd like to talk to him hes on here. heres his diy thread of his own tank build hes a real nice guy and he made me some killer backgrounds dirt cheap

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... p?t=222514
m1ke715m

Postby biglove » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:32 am

m1ke715m wrote:i used ge silicone I kitchen bath plumbing ?

The problem is that you didn't use GE I WINDOW & DOOR, Mike. I spoke with GE two weeks ago and was told by the rep that the only version of their silicone that does not have the chemical mold and mildew inhibitor is "GE I Window & Door."

Hate that you lost fish, mate...
biglove

Postby dsouthworth » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:46 pm

This has been said a million times. but i must again just cause im a little bit anal about these things.

GE Silicone I (Clear)
Window/Door/Attic/Basement

S'all good right?
dsouthworth

Postby m1ke715m » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:27 pm

so people say.. but id use the one for plastic sheets.. i know 100% that works its in the plastic sheet and glass pane aisle
m1ke715m

Postby DanniGirl » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:43 pm

dsouthworth wrote:This has been said a million times. but i must again just cause im a little bit anal about these things.

GE Silicone I (Clear)
Window/Door/Attic/Basement

S'all good right?

Yes
DanniGirl

GE I

Postby theoryguru » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:07 pm

I've used Clear GE 1 (avg price $4.50CDN) and WeatherShield 100% clear silicone from Home Hardware (3pk $11.97) for resealing a tank and on two 3D backgrounds.
No problems to date with either brand. Tip: I always wear disposable gloves, quick cleanup :thumb:
theoryguru

Postby TrashmanNYC » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:56 pm

Just bought a tube of GE I today at HD and it said 100% silicone on the front.
Robb
125G All Male Peacock/Hap, Syno Multis, Syno Angelicus
125G Rusties, Clown Labs, P. Salousi, Syno Multis, Yo-Yo Loaches
55G SA Koi Angels, Marble Angels, Serpae Tetras, Bolivian Rams, Panda Corys
55G Quarantine/Holding/Grow-out
30G Fry/Juvie Grow-out
TrashmanNYC

Postby m1ke715m » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:13 am

they all say 100% silicone.. thats just referring to there being no acrylic in it..
m1ke715m

Postby SeahorseDeb » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:37 am

This thread has been very helpful. I aquascaped with layered slate in my 90/gal, and I am going to silicone a few pieces together. Going to try two pieces as a sample, since most of u are using it on glass. Keeping my slate perfectly balanced when I do a teardown and rebuild is a migraine. So I will test it out and see how it works. I will let u know in about two weeks, to allow time for curing. I have to take a few pieces out of the tank and let them completely dry first, thanks all, this has been great education! :)
When I watch you sleep, it's the only time you ignore me. The rest of the time, it's all about the food!
SeahorseDeb

Postby matt121966 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:32 pm

note to self ge silicone clear window door
matt121966

PreviousNext

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas