Lake Malawi Species • Can any quality male Yellow Lab get black on his face??

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Can any quality male Yellow Lab get black on his face??

Postby CutieSusieQ » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:25 pm

I have been reading again and if anyone has ever searched the internet for answers pertaining to African Cichlids then you know that there is a TON of misleading/inaccurate/confusing information out there.

I am curious about something again and wanted to see what kind of answers I get here.

I have read that black on the face of a yellow lab tends to happen to males mainly... I read that it can be a sign of stress...it can be a sign that the male is dominate and ready to breed...and that it can be a sign that the fish is from a bad strain.

So I want to know if a pure good quality strain of Yellow Labs can still get black on their face during breeding or when stressed? Or if the black charcoal face is truly a sign of poor quality?

:-?
55g- 7 angelfish, several marbled hatchet fish, 1 albino bristlenose pleco.
CutieSusieQ

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby eagl97 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:40 pm

My yellow lab had black on her face but it I think it was from stress.

This fish sometimes has black on her face.
eagl97

Postby CutieSusieQ » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:49 pm

Your photo brings up yet another question I had about yellow labs too. I read that yellow labs do not have egg spots, but I have to disagree! I have some labs with egg spots and I see that you do too.
CutieSusieQ

Postby ladybugzcrunch » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:55 pm

That's a female??? She is very beautiful!!! Pretty as any male.
Too many tanks!
ladybugzcrunch

Postby CutieSusieQ » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:11 pm

I bought my yellow labs online from a dealer that was recommended to me from this forum. They are supposed to be "Lion Coves" but I have a male whose face is very charcoal looking. I it looks like my other male is starting to turn a little greyish in the face too. I don't like it at all, but if that's normal sign of breeding for male yellow labs, then ok, I'll deal with it. I can re-home the other male, maybe this will help?? I don't know ......but if it's a sign of a poor strain, then I got ripped off.
CutieSusieQ

Postby tranced » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:29 pm

im pretty sure every yellow lab could be considered as originating from 'lions cove'
tranced

Postby CutieSusieQ » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:34 pm

tranced wrote:im pretty sure every yellow lab could be considered as originating from 'lions cove'

This is what the website says

"Outstanding and unique in color these Electric Yellows should be in every cichlid tank no matter what. Electric Yellow vary drastically in quality and have been ruined by foreign breeders, however we take pride in our strain and know you will be pleased. Keep in mind these are not the "Solid Electric Yellow" in which the females and the juveniles do not have barring. Keep in mind that in order for that strain to exist the fish were actually cross bred with Red Zebras. Please do not confuse this with our "Lions Cove" variety. Our juveniles have barring and females might have a little as well. However our Males turn out beautiful just like the one pictured and as the females age their bars will disappear completely as well."

All my Labs are beautiful and the bars are completely gone. They are all an awesome bright yellow...except for the two males. Like I said, their face is turning black so I'm curious about what's up.
CutieSusieQ

Postby ashilli48 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:03 pm

I'm curious to see responses from long term keepers. I recently noticed that my dominant male had developed what can only be described as "5 o'clock shadow". I have been keeping them for 5 years now and never noticed this before. The colony was 11 strong recently and in the past year has been as numerous as 25 if you count the grown out juvies.

Can't say I know what the cause was/is. Curious to find out.
ashilli48

Postby DJRansome » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:19 pm

The less often your male gets the "beard" the better quality he is. I have what is known as a good strain. Mine can get a light silvery "beard" when breeding and only gets a darker color on his face when something extraordinary is going on in the tank (bloat epidemic for example).

I have yet to own a fully mature adult male that stays pure yellow 100% of the time. I have had only two strains. Prior to my current batch I had LFS labs and they got the "dirty" markings more often instead of rarely.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby eagl97 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:20 pm

My yellow lab is from the same supplier and is at least 2 years old if not 3. The black just went away after all the bullies either died or were taken out of the tank. Now she the only adult in my tank and the boss.
eagl97

Postby emptyhead » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:49 pm

DJRansome wrote:The less often your male gets the "beard" the better quality he is. I have what is known as a good strain. Mine can get a light silvery "beard" when breeding and only gets a darker color on his face when something extraordinary is going on in the tank (bloat epidemic for example).

I have yet to own a fully mature adult male that stays pure yellow 100% of the time. I have had only two strains. Prior to my current batch I had LFS labs and they got the "dirty" markings more often instead of rarely.

This is my experience as well. I currently have 2 groups from different strains. I am going to cull the one group - the shadowing just never leaves - an obviously compromised strain. Good looking labs are some of the best looking fish IMO. The females in my good group never show shadowing and the males only occasionally. Good strain also have very dark solid black markings on the fins.
emptyhead

Postby LKO316 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:03 pm

I just got my online order in a week ago. 3 yellow labs plus some peacocks . One of them great yellow color no black barring. But other two have charcoil face and blk barring on the body. I'm not too happy about my order too.
Next time i will go lfs see the fish i want b/4 i buy it.
LKO316

Postby eagl97 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:33 am

So you don't think they out grow it or is just a mood they're in. Because that's what I'm thinking.
eagl97

Postby stnick80 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:54 am

The best quality specimens I have seen usually get the bearding during spawning. I cannot comment on the high stress. Either I've never put mine under enough stress or it doesn't happen. I can tell you that in my experience bearding seems more common in larger males during spawning. To me it isn't a sign of bad quality but rather a trait of the species. Wild caught labs do get the bearding as well.

Many of you have probably already seen my oldest male and prized male. He gets the bearding when spawning.

This is him 5 years ago for reference. Notice the subtle barring.

stnick80

Postby eagl97 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:04 am

I didn't think it wa a bad thing like every one else says. So mine is probably a male even though I ordered females because it had a beard. I swore I seen it trying to mate with one of my male peacocks.
eagl97

Next

Return to Lake Malawi Species