Equipment & Supplies • Fluval G Series

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Fluval G Series

Postby mambee » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:19 pm

Anyone have any experience with the new Fluval G6 canister filter, or am I the first guinea pig?

I was impressed when I first setup the filter. The output was very high, and I like all of the attachment options. What I like most about the filter is that it has a cartridge which can be easily removed for cleaning without breaking down the filter. It also primes very easily.

I cleaned the cartridge for the first time after 2 weeks of use. However, now the outflow is 25% of what it previously was.

Any suggestions? I'm wondering if I should return it.

Mike
150 Gallon:
Uaru, Geophagus, Turquoise Severum, Angelfish, Silver Dollars
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Angelfish, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Badis Badis
mambee

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby BryanR73 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:43 pm

I have been using the Fluval G since Christmas and I have not had any problems with the flow rate after cleaning the cartridge. Are you removing the cap at the bottom and rinsing it thoroughly while using the brush that came with it?

I have noticed that air can get trapped inside the filter after cleaning, you could try using the priming button a few times to release any trapped air.

Other than that I can not think of any reason why you may be having that problem. If you can give me some more details about the setup I may be able to help further.
BryanR73

Postby mambee » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:59 am

I have been using the cleaning brush and removing the cap on the bottom. The problem must be trapped air. I'll fiddle with it this weekend.

I have a 150 gallon tank with sand that is also filtered with an Eheim 2028 canister. I gave up on my Emperor 400 because it was too noisy, which was probably caused by the sand. My fish spit sand all over.

My fish list is as follows:
* 2 juvenile Geophagus Jururpari
* 4 juvenile Surimanensis type Geophagus
* 1 very large Uarua
* 2 Turquoise Severums
* 1 Festivus
* 1 17 year old Syndontis Brichardi
* 4 Silver Dollars
* 1 very large Gibbiceps Pleco (what was I thinking?)
* 1 Black Ghost Knife
* 4 Rainbowfish
* 1 Siamese Algae Eater

Mike
150 Gallon:
90 Gallon:
mambee

Postby mambee » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:42 pm

OK. I gave the cartridge a super good scrubbing tonight and the flow rate is rocking again. I may buy a spare cartridge to swap in when the other gets dirty and then clean it on the weekend.

Mike
150 Gallon:
90 Gallon:
mambee

Postby BryanR73 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:30 pm

So far I have been running mine for 2 months and I just started noticing that the cartridge is clogging faster and reducing flow in-between cleanings. I am planning on replacing it with a new one this weekend. I had been wondering how long they can continue to be cleaned and for my tank it appears that answer is 2 months. I may try and give it one more real good cleaning to be sure. Good luck with yours!
BryanR73

Postby BryanR73 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:31 pm

So far I have been running mine for 2 months and I just started noticing that the cartridge is clogging faster and reducing flow in-between cleanings. I am planning on replacing it with a new one this weekend. I had been wondering how long they can continue to be cleaned and for my tank it appears that answer is 2 months. I may try and give it one more real good cleaning to be sure. Good luck with yours!
BryanR73

Postby mambee » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:32 am

You should try a second cartridge and have the first one soak in bleach for a couple of days. Replacing the cartridge every 2 months is going to get expensive.
150 Gallon:
90 Gallon:
mambee

Postby BryanR73 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:41 am

I was considering giving it a try. I have to do it every week for my HOT Magnum micron cartridge anyhow. I do have a spare pre-filter cartridge and I even picked up a fine pre-filter cartridge for it as well. I may alternate between the 3. I forget which online site was having a big sale on them a month or so back but it was like 25% off so I stocked up.

Which chemical cartridge have you decided to use? I have been using the Tri-Ex cartridges.
BryanR73

Postby mambee » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:33 pm

So far I am just using the carbon cartridge that was included. I might try the nitrate one down the road.

They could have really made this filter rock if it had slots for a heater and UV sterilizer.
150 Gallon:
90 Gallon:
mambee

Postby BryanR73 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:59 pm

From what I have heard the slot on the back of the filter will be to connect a new G Series heater to it. Too bad I already have an Hydor ETH Inline heater that I love attached to the return line.

I guess they wanted to get a feel for how well this new filter was going to catch on the market and how many units they could move before they released too many different versions of it.

Would love to see a bigger model with or without the electronics that moved say 350-450 GPH. If they were to offer one without the electronics and LCD screen that I could link to my existing G6 to maybe just get a flow reading that would be perfect.
BryanR73

Postby natas01 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:04 pm

I've had the Fluval G3 for a couple of months. I initially read that you can remove the mechanical/chemical cartridges while the unit is on. The several times I tried this, I got an "impeller" warning after installing the cartridges back into the unit. I now turn off the unit before removing them and haven't had the problem reoccur.

While I like the screen and the ability to change media is fairly simple, I'm very disappointed in the gph of the filter. I bought it before knowing that water in the tank should be filtered 5-10x a hour. The G3 doesn't offer much filtration for a 55 gallon, so I'm also running a Fluval 305. The G series should be built to offer more in terms of gph. Heck, the Fluval 305 is less than half of the price for the G3 and offers more gph!
natas01

Postby mambee » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:40 pm

So far I am a little disappointed. The mechanical cartridge is easy to remove and clean. However, water flow is down 70% today only after 4 days since the last cleaning. I also run an Eheim canister on the tank and I am thinking of putting the Emperor 400 back into service. The good folks at Marineland sent me some spare parts.

If the G6 was the only filter running on my tank, I would expect the flow to come to almost a complete halt if I went on vacation for 2 weeks.

Not acceptable.
150 Gallon:
90 Gallon:
mambee

Postby BryanR73 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:25 am

Mambee,

That is the whole point. That is a sign that the filter is doing it's job very well and is telling you when to clean the cartridge. It is also a no-bypass cartridge and holds what it collects rather than allowing debris to move to the chemical or biological compartments. Think of all the other canister filters on the market that do not have those notifications that sit for months without being cleaned, what do you think their flow rates are down to compared to optimal?

I run a C360 and HOT Magnum on my 90 gallon tank and I clean my cartridge once a week. Most of the time it is only showing a slight decrease in flow after that time. Are you running the fine pre-filter cartridge or the regular pre-filter?
BryanR73

Postby BryanR73 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:26 am

Mambee,

That is the whole point. That is a sign that the filter is doing it's job very well and is telling you when to clean the cartridge. It is also a no-bypass cartridge and holds what it collects rather than allowing debris to move to the chemical or biological compartments. Think of all the other canister filters on the market that do not have those notifications that sit for months without being cleaned, what do you think their flow rates are down to compared to optimal?

I run a C360 and HOT Magnum on my 90 gallon tank and I clean my cartridge once a week. Most of the time it is only showing a slight decrease in flow after that time. Are you running the fine pre-filter cartridge or the regular pre-filter?
BryanR73

Postby mambee » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:40 am

I'd like to get through the whole week with at least a 75% flow rate. I'm running whichever pre-filter came with the G6.
150 Gallon:
90 Gallon:
mambee

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies