Central American Cichlids • Im New and Have Questions.

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Im New and Have Questions.

Postby CraigBates » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:46 pm

Hello all, Im new here and I have some questions. I just recently got a 55 gallon tank and its currently houseing 1 pleco ( not sure what kind but approx 3 inches) 1 Banded leporinus fasciatus ( appox 6 inches) 2 Corys ( not sure of type) and 4 other small fish im not sure of what they are. I bought the tank and the fish came with it. So I Plan on gettin rid of all the fish and only keeping the pleco, and I wanna get Cichlid's.

I wanna try to get 6 fish with either 2 or 3 breeds, but im here because I need advice but heres what im aiming at

2 to 4 convicts ( not sure if that is good or bad witch is why I am here, I've read alot over the passed couple of weeks and I have seen mixed things, I saw that convicts pair real easy and when they pair they start to breed and get even more aggressive and will kill other convicts and other fish. I also read that wont happen if there is enough room..and im not sure if I have that with a 55 gallon.)

1 or 2 Jack Dempseys or 1 JD and 1 fire mouth.

Any suggstions please? feel free to change numbers and breed types Im in need of all input thanks :)
CraigBates

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby CraigBates » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:37 pm

Did I do something wrong to not receive any replys?? I'm just looking for Idea's this forum seemed active so I gave it a shot.
CraigBates

Postby ladybugzcrunch » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:49 pm

A 55g is really not all that big for aggressive fish. Convicts are extremely aggressive when they breed so if you want a convict in a community setup, go with only one. You should decide whether you want to breed fish or if you want a variety. If you want variety, you might go with one female jack dempsey, 1 female convict, and one female firemouth(you want all females so they do not try to breed plus females stay a tad smaller and female convicts have more color than males). Then you could keep your pleco and add a school of larger tetras like buenos aries. That would be a nice tank. If you want to breed convicts, the cookie cutter from this site says you can do one pair of convicts and one pair of salvini. If you want a pair of jack dempseys, I think they will end up being the only fish as they can get really nasty when they breed and kill everything else in there. Keep us posted!
Too many tanks!
ladybugzcrunch

Postby CraigBates » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:55 pm

I Really dont want to breed. I just want a colorfull tank. That sounds like a pretty good suggestion. Thanks!
CraigBates

Postby conoholic » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:22 am

1 female con
1 female nic
1 female firemouth
1 female hrp

skip the jack.

OR

one male green terror
2 male convicts ( dithers )
3 pictus catfish ( smaller specie type )
1 bristlenose pleco

id go with the 2nd choice as i have a gt and hes BEAUTIFUl
75 gallon:
convicts
2 gt
2 BB ( soon to sell back or give back )
3 FMs
1 pleco
conoholic

Postby CraigBates » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:47 am

Hmmm that #2 mix looks ineresting.
CraigBates

Postby TheFishGuy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:33 am

Welcome the C-F, hope you enjoy your stay!

Give things some time... People will post eventually :)
TheFishGuy

Postby wpk22 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:39 pm

conoholic wrote:one male green terror
2 male convicts ( dithers )
3 pictus catfish ( smaller specie type )
1 bristlenose pleco

id go with the 2nd choice as i have a gt and hes BEAUTIFUl

I thought gts eventually grow out of a 55 gallon?
wpk22

Postby oldcatfish » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:53 pm

I second the 3 female suggestion by ladybugzcrunch...but would substitute a female Salvini for the Jack Dempsey....Sals are a lot more colorful, and a bit smaller.
oldcatfish

Return to Central American Cichlids