Illness, Health & Nutrition • wil clout effectively treat ick???

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderators: Robin, GTZ

wil clout effectively treat ick???

Postby Martindale » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:14 am

I have a 125 loaded with my prize fish. The smallest fish is a dolphin and is around 5" and the rest of the fish are bigger. If its pretty it goes in there. It has an ick breakout. I have a bottle of clout and its supposed to be REALLY strong stuff and kick some !@#. Some of the fish are irreplaceable so I need to fix this ASAP! Please help. Thank you for your input.
Martindale

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby steelers fan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:07 am

i wouldnt use clout...its a pretty strong med and can stress fish to the point of opening up a new breakout such as columnaris.

do a large waterchange now with vacuuming then raise the temp to 84-86, dose with table salt 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons.
repeat this twice a week until it clears up...may take a week may take 3.
heat, salt and a very clean tank(waterchanges with vacuuming) is what has always worked for me in the past
steelers fan

thx!

Postby Martindale » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:32 am

Thanks for responding. I have never encountered this before.

I, about 2 hours ago, did a dose of QuICK Cure (ingredients: formalin, malachite green). Given this info what do you recommend? Yes I know I should have waited.

The temp here is 30 degrees will this cause a problem if I do a large water change?
Martindale

Postby steelers fan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:48 am

never used quick cure

the temp outside should not impact your waterchange...unless your using water from your garden hose in which case waterchanges would ber a pain the entire winter.
just fill from your kitchen faucet...go to a home supply store and buy a length of hose that will fit your faucet if you have to.
or you could just go with your plan since its already in motion
steelers fan

Postby PfunMo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:29 pm

ICH-- My least favorite and most tender spot. If they can stand the heat and salt, I recommend it over any med I've found. I raised the temp slowly and added salt in doses to see how my fish reacted. With no problems showing , I added more over time. My current feeling is ich is as a definite killer and either the fish have to tolerate the high temp and salt needed or they are going to die anyway. Is it possible we bought our fish from the same shop? I see you post on HCCC but I've forgotten where you are. Good luck is about all I can offer.
PfunMo

Postby White Thunder » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:14 pm

i did the heat and salt....then did quick cure...both seemed to work....

with the heat and salt i was doing daily water changes and vacuums....i had to work and ended up skiping a day and it went down hill....

used quICK cure as follows....

one does as labeled and let set for 2 days....

50% water change added more meds....let set for a day

final does as before and waited a day and put the carbon back in...did water change

make sure you vacuume alot....and make sure you take out your carbon if you continue the quick cure
White Thunder

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Martindale » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:02 pm

I dosed the QuIck Cure as recommended Fri, Sat, & today. Added salt, an additional heater which stabilized the temp at 83 degrees, and bought a #4 Korela power fan (1200 gph) and ran it on the surface creating massive water movementWHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no more ick. Unbelievable. There is a XL silver dollar (red hook) that has a few spots left but thats it!!!!!!! Holy #%$& I was worried. Some of the fish in there are fish that I cant get anywhere else. When I "by chance" have come across another specimen they havent been the "show" or "display" quality of a few fish in this tank. In case you havent caught on I LOVE THIS TANK. So I want to send a very sincere and extremely appreciative THANKS for the responses.

Hello PfunMo. I post regularly on Cyphos.com (martindale), Frontosa.com (ups2525), and MonsterFishKeepers.com (martindale). I seldom post on HCCC but regularly pm to fellow hobbyist. Send me a pm some time and thanks for the help.
Martindale

Postby PfunMo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:55 pm

Sounds like you had much better results than I did. I keep a log and will note that Quick Cure worked well for you. I might be preaching to the choir but want to note that you do want to keep treating until you are sure it is ALL gone. One little beasty hiding somewhere might put you through the same all over.
PfunMo

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition