Lake Tanganyika Species • Australian blue-eyes with shell dwellers??

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderator: triscuit

Australian blue-eyes with shell dwellers??

Postby CutieSusieQ » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:21 pm

Someone suggested I could add a couple of Australian blue-eyes to my 29 gallon multifasciatus tank. My tank has 6 multis. I have been lookin online at Australian blue-eyes, but now I am confused as to WHICH ONES I should add to my shell dweller tank. I need to know what name I should be looking for when ordering them online!! There seem to be many different ones. Are they the best choice?

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but what is a dither fish? I'm still learning all the fish lingo!
55g- 7 angelfish, several marbled hatchet fish, 1 albino bristlenose pleco.
CutieSusieQ

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Matt1986 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:17 pm

Traditionally, a dither fish is a fish whose main function in the tank is to draw aggression from your cichlids, thus diverting some of the aggression taking place among the cichlids. The idea is generally to use hardy, fast-moving and often shoaling species that can easily withstand the aggression thrown at them.

For example, owners of South American cichlid tanks will quite often house species like silver dollars to distract large and aggressive cichlids who would otherwise channel their aggression into beating each other up.

As for your other question, I'm not familiar with the species so I'll wait for someone else to chime in!
Last edited by Matt1986 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20G - L. stappersi
20G - F1 L. similis
180G - F1 C. gibberosa 'Moba', N. leleupi, L. auritus, J. transcriptus
Matt1986

Postby CutieSusieQ » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:37 pm

Ok thanks for the info...

Also, I meant to add in my original posting... the reason I want to add another fish with my multis in my 29 gallon is to give the top part of my tank some action.
CutieSusieQ

Postby Darkside » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:07 pm

Being as I was the one who suggested blue eyes. Any of them will do because that 29 gallon is sufficiently high I prefer Pseudomugil furcatus but I've used teh otehr blue eyes as dithers too. I would try to stay away from the thread fins (Iriatherina werneri) as they are a bit more delicate. Dwarf rainbow fish also make great dithers and are really tough, fast, good beginners fish.
Darkside

Postby CutieSusieQ » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:34 pm

Darkside wrote:Being as I was the one who suggested blue eyes. Any of them will do because that 29 gallon is sufficiently high I prefer Pseudomugil furcatus but I've used teh otehr blue eyes as dithers too. I would try to stay away from the thread fins (Iriatherina werneri) as they are a bit more delicate. Dwarf rainbow fish also make great dithers and are really tough, fast, good beginners fish.

Yes, it was you, lol.... thanks for the info. Do you know if these fish are "rare" and hard to find in fish stores? I'm wondering if I should just order them online or try to find them in person. Most of the fish I want, I end up having to order them online. Augh!

What do you think of Pseudomugil gertrudae?
CutieSusieQ

Postby Fogelhund » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:17 pm

CutieSusieQ wrote:
What do you think of Pseudomugil gertrudae?

I would try this combination, if I could get some in my local area.
Fogelhund

Postby CutieSusieQ » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:10 pm

What about adding some livebearers such as Guppies, Black Mollies, or Swordtails? Yes? No?
CutieSusieQ

Postby Fogelhund » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:57 pm

CutieSusieQ wrote:What about adding some livebearers such as Guppies, Black Mollies, or Swordtails? Yes? No?

These are voracious predators. If you can get some smaller wild type guppies, sure. The others will eat your shellie fry.
Fogelhund

Postby CutieSusieQ » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:43 am

Fogelhund wrote:
CutieSusieQ wrote:What about adding some livebearers such as Guppies, Black Mollies, or Swordtails? Yes? No?

These are voracious predators. If you can get some smaller wild type guppies, sure. The others will eat your shellie fry.

Interesting!! See, I have a lot to learn!! What about barbs, loaches, danios?? I hoping to find compatible tankmates that I DON'T have to order online!!
CutieSusieQ

Postby Fogelhund » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:17 am

:lol: How about we just say... or anything else?

I think we have to keep in mind that most fish will eat other fish if given the chance. Stick with small fish.

White cloud minnows, Neon or Cardinal Tetras, Black neon tetras, Cherry Barbs, Black Ruby Barbs, and Zebra Danios would be the best options.

Other types are either fairly rare, or a bit too big.
Fogelhund

Postby CutieSusieQ » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:48 am

Fogelhund wrote::lol: How about we just say... or anything else?

I think we have to keep in mind that most fish will eat other fish if given the chance. Stick with small fish.

White cloud minnows, Neon or Cardinal Tetras, Black neon tetras, Cherry Barbs, Black Ruby Barbs, and Zebra Danios would be the best options.

Other types are either fairly rare, or a bit too big.

I asked about barbs and danios, lol.... awesome info.. thanks! This is EXACLTY the info I was looking for!
CutieSusieQ

Postby Darkside » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:37 pm

I only suggested the blue eyes because I like them more than the average dither. Lampeye killies are another awesome dither fish and are actually from Africa.
Darkside

Postby CutieSusieQ » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:43 pm

Darkside wrote:I only suggested the blue eyes because I like them more than the average dither. Lampeye killies are another awesome dither fish and are actually from Africa.

the Blue eyes are beautiful...just very hard for me to find around here.
CutieSusieQ

Postby CutieSusieQ » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:18 pm

Ok last question for awhile I think....

If I decide to add neon tetras or black neon tetras to my 29 gallon that has 6 multi's in it, how many should I add? I know they do best in schools, but how big can the school be? :)
CutieSusieQ

Postby sweety » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:22 pm

Not sure how the Neon's will cope with a high PH as they like & do well in a PH of around 6.5-7
sweety

Next

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species