General African Cichlid Discussion • keeping snails with african cihlids?

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: Floridagirl, DJRansome

keeping snails with african cihlids?

Postby Preston4479 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:38 pm

Can snails be kept with african cichlids? Will the higher temps or salt bother them?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Brian
Preston4479

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby BioG » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:58 am

depends on which snails, but for the most part all the pests certainly seem to survive quite well in african set ups. I personally keep mts, unintentionally in most of my tanks but have benefited from Olive nerites and Clea Helena for mts control and have been able to create a balance with all of them. I know others who keep all those I mentioned as well as pond snails and rams horn, along with apple snails.

I have heard that salt is bothersome to mts but I have found that they aren't staggered by anything short of dynamite!
BioG

Postby Fogelhund » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:27 am

It depends on which Africans, and which snails. Many times snails such as Apple Snails get picked on and killed. The smaller snails seem fine, just as MTS.
Fogelhund

Postby BioG » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:33 pm

I mispoke above when I said "I have benefited from Olive nerites and Clea helena for MTS control" WHat I meant was that yes, I have benefitted from nerites but only as amazing algae eaters and, separately, I have benefitted from Clea;Anentome snails as pest snail eaters who seem to avoid nerites as snacks :)
BioG

Apple snails or mystery snails are the best.

Postby LiveFishDirect » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:31 pm

We love Apple snails and mystery snails.
We use these in all our vats.

:thumb:
LiveFishDirect

Postby PeterUK » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:26 pm

I have introduced mts's to all of my 9 tanks :thumb:

I cant see how people can call them pests :-?

The ONLY reason that you will see them during the day is if there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with the water ........ good visual indicaters :thumb:

They eat all and any uneaten food that the fish miss :thumb:

They will ONLY reach 'plague' proportions if the tank is overfed ... see above. If there is millions and squillions of them just cut back on the feeding and they wont breed as often. :thumb:

The small young snails are eaten by most fish when grazing and sifting the substrate. :thumb:

I use sand on all of my tanks ... as mts's are a burrowing species and they keep the sand 'turned over' and there so are no dead spots or compacted area's :thumb:

I think every aquarist should have them in their tanks :thumb: =D>
PeterUK

Postby michebai » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:51 pm

Ok, this is going to sound like a very stupid question. I've had apple snails and I love them but find that the fish pick at them until they die. I've had those MTS snails in a tank with my apple snails before and the MTS snails killed the apple snails.

My question is would the fish choke on the MTS snails? I'd be pretty mad if I got some and they killed my fish, but I have a huge algae issue in my HRP tank and the clown plecos are not eating it.
michebai

Postby lmhollist » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:04 pm

Who could really say. I have MTS (came in on some plants) in my South American tank and from time to time the angelfish mouth them but they never actually try to swallow them shell and all. My Jack Dempseys absolutely love young ramshorn and mystery snails. They pick them up and suck out the body, leaving the shell behind. I have yet to get any snails in any of my African tanks so I don't really know how they would react to them...
Too many tanks and fish to list at this point...
lmhollist

Postby Acorn27 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:20 pm

I have apple and zebra apple snails but it seems the cichlids can pick them to death. They don't put the whole snail in their mouth (mine are normally the size of marbles) but they go for their body whenever it is exposed. They havent' actually eaten the whole body from what I've seen, but either critically injure them or the stress causes the snails to die.
Acorn27

Postby BioG » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:01 pm

You want your algae gone. Get you some Nerite Snails. You won't be dissapointed, they're algae eating machines that do not reproduce in freshwater.
BioG

keeping snails with african cihlids

Postby guissalo » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:48 pm

I dont know how to open models with blender. What I should do?
guissalo

snails

Postby cjbtech » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:47 pm

I have had very good luck with gold mystery snails in my shelly tanks. That don't last long in my mbona tanks & salt in the tank dosen't seem to bother them at all.
cjbtech

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion