General African Cichlid Discussion • Melanochromis Auratus Sexing

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderator: DJRansome

Melanochromis Auratus Sexing

Postby etstephenson » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:12 pm

I have read that when male Melanochromis Aratus are not present the female will take on some of the characteristics of the male and run the nest. The reason I ask is I have what is clear to me to be a female, but she's holding many of the same traits as the male including a blue-ish tent and lighter lateral stripe. If anyone knows please let me. Thanks
-Ethan
etstephenson

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Dewdrop » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:48 pm

Females can take on a darker more male like color, even with males present. Venting is the only way, other than seeing the fish holding, to be completely sure. Is it the only auratus you have? Can you post a pic of it?
Dewdrop
55g. mainly malawi mbuna tank, 29g. N. brichardi & pleco, 20g. grow out, 10g. fry, 10g. quarantine/hospital, 1.5g. 1st. stage fry/misc., 1.5g. snails & ghost shrimp
Dewdrop

Postby MalawiLover » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:00 pm

Females will take on male like coloration when feeling threatened or dominant and often have them when holding.

In what way is it "clear to you" that it is a female. Has she held eggs?
125gMale peacocks/haps
95g-Malawi Mbuna
55g-Mixed community
30g-x2 Grow out
12.5g-Fry
IS YOUR DECHLORINATOR WORKING??
MalawiLover

Postby jfly » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:14 am

i recently got rid of my male auratus and left only the female,, though she did take on a darker hue you can still tell that she is female there are definite hues of yellow. point blank you :thumb: can tell..
jfly

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion